The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
mistertrose

Removing rearend and suspension - tips

Hey everyone, I am seeking some suggestions. This is my first build on a 68 C10 Stepside. I am currently tearing down the truck to restore as a semi-long term project (its for my son who is 3 yrs old.) I am currently getting the frame and suspension read for air bags and also POR 15 everything.

Anyway, I have the truck up on jack stands and am pulling the entire rear suspension out (I have replacement 5 lug rear) Since I am learning on the fly, I thought I would ask. How should I go about doing this? Obviously, I disconnect all lines, but where do I start un-bolting once I have rear supported by jack? I assume driveshaft, then shocks, then ??? Can someone just point me in the right direct so I don't learn everything the hard way? I have learned a ton on this forum and everyone here has been great so thanks in advance.

To date:
Removed bed and bumpers
Removed bump stops and brackets (prep for bolt in c-notch)
Removed support/helper springs
Dropped gas tank (from PO rigging) with plans to replace with blazer tank
Removed exhaust and all hangers
Stripped outer surfaces of frame, etc. with wire wheel and stripping wheel
mistertrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Removing rearend and suspension - tips

take real good pictures of the emergancy brake cable routing prior to disassembly comes in handy when putting back together
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
mistertrose

I am taking pictures and labeling everything. Just need to know the sequence of taking it apart. Worst case, i just start unbolting. I just don't want to have a "wish I didn't do that" moment.
mistertrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
ERASER5

There is no real right or wrong here. It is a tear down. Obviously you will need to support the frame. I would unhook the E brake up front and leave the cables attached to the arms for now. Leave the tires on. If the tires are in the air, support the diff with a jack (not jack stand). Unhook the shocks and and either the top or the bottom of the springs. Let the rear down all the way. Unbolt the arms from the cross member (easier said than done), drive out the bolt and pry, push, wiggle the arms out. Roll the entire assembly out from under the truck. Easy if the diff is open. If you have a posi, take off one tire and cradle the drum in the floor jack. Use the floor jack to make the turns.

Clear as mud? You could take the rear out in pieces, but I like to get things out where I can get a better position for pounding, grinding, and cutting. These bad boys do not go gently. And you will bleed.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
qksilver

soak all the bolts, nuts etc with penetrating fluid. spray a couple of times over a a few days. Those bolts etc are a pain. I would disconnect everything with the rear with wheels on the ground then jack the frame up after everything is disconnected. With wheels and tires mounted the rear is much easier to roll from underneath the truck and move around then trying to balance the pumpkin on the jack.

I work alone and try to do things the easiest and more important safest way possible. That wasn't always the case and i have the scars to prove it. Older , much older and a little wiser.

steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote