The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #1
los7883

Need advice on truck...

I'm new to the forum and have been reading as much as i can for the past week and have really learned a lot by reading the projects most of you have going on. I've always wanted a 1947-1954 truck and it looks like its finally gonna happen. I at first assumed I'd be getting a stock truck and cleaning it up, repairing any rust/dents in it and be done but with all the mods I see everyone making shoot that makes me wanna do some stuff too. So my question is this, which mods to you guys thing would better suit what I will be doing with my truck. This isnt going to be a show truck, it'll be my daily driver, the bed will be used but not a daily thing, i'd like to be able to tow a boat (20'er) behind it. So what I've read on here I'm thinking that an S-10 frame would be stronger than the stock one, plus would have more options suspension wise since I may end up bagging it. Also would like to put an LS1 in there for the towing power and driveabililty. Is there anything yall would change about that setup or add on top of that? Im not sure if I'd go with an LS1 out of a Vette/Camaro or a Truck, I'd assume the truck since it'd be more set up for towing. I owned a C5 before so I have messed with the LS1 a bit so hopefully that will make it easier...sorry for all the questions but I wanna make sure I do this right and research as much as i can before i jump into this build. Thanks!
los7883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
LuckyFastEddie

Re: Need advice on truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by los7883 View Post
I'm new to the forum and have been reading as much as i can for the past week and have really learned a lot by reading the projects most of you have going on. I've always wanted a 1947-1954 truck and it looks like its finally gonna happen. I at first assumed I'd be getting a stock truck and cleaning it up, repairing any rust/dents in it and be done but with all the mods I see everyone making shoot that makes me wanna do some stuff too. So my question is this, which mods to you guys thing would better suit what I will be doing with my truck. This isnt going to be a show truck, it'll be my daily driver, the bed will be used but not a daily thing, i'd like to be able to tow a boat (20'er) behind it. So what I've read on here I'm thinking that an S-10 frame would be stronger than the stock one, plus would have more options suspension wise since I may end up bagging it. Also would like to put an LS1 in there for the towing power and driveabililty. Is there anything yall would change about that setup or add on top of that? Im not sure if I'd go with an LS1 out of a Vette/Camaro or a Truck, I'd assume the truck since it'd be more set up for towing. I owned a C5 before so I have messed with the LS1 a bit so hopefully that will make it easier...sorry for all the questions but I wanna make sure I do this right and research as much as i can before i jump into this build. Thanks!
A lot of your success will depend on your skill level , having the tools and place to work on it and to some extent how mush money you have to spend . Many more projects are abandoned than finished because they drag on too long and the builder looses interest . I customized my work truck so I felt like I was driving a rod and spent 10 years building my 47. There was more than 1 period of inactivity , some lasted more than a year . It was worth the long wait for me . Here are a few pics of the finished product .
Attached Images

LuckyFastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

First off....
You've come to the right place.
If you haven't done so yet, look through the 47-59 Builds section:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...play.php?f=205
You'll have to decide which way you want to go. You're gonna get lots of different opinions which way is best, but you'll have to decide that on your own based on your abilities, wallet, tools, and just which one you like the best.
S-10, M-II, Camaro clip, they're all here. Take a look and let us know which you decide.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

here's a thread to look at ....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=409138

look thru the projects and build forum some neat stuff happening there with lot's of ideas

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited

Last edited by entourageguy; 07-14-2010 at 05:37 PM.
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
los7883

Thanks for the replies...i'm actually attending AMT school and they're showing us how to work with sheet metal, bending, cutting, forming...finishing...and then tearing apart engines so i'll be able to do what I think i'll need to do to get by. I'm not trying to make a one off truck or a show truck, just something that does what i need it to do. Are the stock inline 6's in these trucks really underpowered?
Old 07-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #6
solidaxel

Welcome!!
After building a few of these, my suggestion is buy one that yoiu can drive now then start saving your lunch money for all the changes you want to make !!

Just remember the rule of 3

It takes three times as long to build as you first thought.

It cost three times more than you budgeted.

It is three times harder than you thought it would be!

Good luck on which ever way you decide to go, you will have fun driving your truck when it is finished.
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:12 AM   #7
los7883

If i could id like to find one that is driveable and then upgrade things as i go...not sure if that takes more time than just starting from the ground up from the beginning but if I could get one from someone that had it as a project car and just couldnt finish it out that may be easier...i want it to be my DD so the less down time the better...just not sure how much a running one would cost. Fleabay has them for between 3k and 10k i believe for running ones...

oh and thanks for the link, just read through all 24 pages of my low53's build and my eyes hurt and my brain feels like its going to explode! a lot of useful info there, looks like he went with a MII front end and boxed the frame and did a 2" C-notch...anyone have any insight on how powerful the stock inline 6 is?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
LuckyFastEddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Welcome!!
After building a few of these, my suggestion is buy one that yoiu can drive now then start saving your lunch money for all the changes you want to make !!

Just remember the rule of 3

It takes three times as long to build as you first thought.

It cost three times more than you budgeted.

It is three times harder than you thought it would be!

Good luck on which ever way you decide to go, you will have fun driving your truck when it is finished.
We also discovered the rule of five . Make a change to something and it will affect 5 things down the line when you least expect it
LuckyFastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote