The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
DetroitDan

where can I find 1 ton tailgate lights

I have a tailgate that already has the holes drilled but somebody scarfed the lights. So even if I didn't like them I'd need to add the five clearance/marker lights. I added them on both my 79 and 81 3/4 tons just because I think they look cool. I just bought the cheap 5 light kit from JCW or AutoZOne or someplace, and I didn't like them. The chrome housing is incorrect, which doesn't bother me, but what I found is they don't light up very red because of thin cheesy lens and white plastic base. They light up almost pink. 2nd set I actually cut them all open (sealed) just so I could paint the inside of the lens red, that's how much it bothered me.
So I can't find a set of good lights that belong there, LMC doesn't show them, all the trailer co. websites sell just the lights usually. It's getting hard to find anything that isn't LED now too. Not interested in LED because they won't match the rest of the truck. I actually tried changing my 97 over to all LEDs, spent a bunch of money and still wasn't happy with the results, so I gave up.
So anyway, does anyone know where I could source a set of the correct rectangular tailgate marker light kits?
DetroitDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

Re: wtb 1 ton tailgate lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDan View Post
I have a tailgate that already has the holes drilled but somebody scarfed the lights. So even if I didn't like them I'd need to add the five clearance/marker lights. I added them on both my 79 and 81 3/4 tons just because I think they look cool. I just bought the cheap 5 light kit from JCW or AutoZOne or someplace, and I didn't like them. The chrome housing is incorrect, which doesn't bother me, but what I found is they don't light up very red because of thin cheesy lens and white plastic base. They light up almost pink. 2nd set I actually cut them all open (sealed) just so I could paint the inside of the lens red, that's how much it bothered me.
So I can't find a set of good lights that belong there, LMC doesn't show them, all the trailer co. websites sell just the lights usually. It's getting hard to find anything that isn't LED now too. Not interested in LED because they won't match the rest of the truck. I actually tried changing my 97 over to all LEDs, spent a bunch of money and still wasn't happy with the results, so I gave up.
So anyway, does anyone know where I could source a set of the correct rectangular tailgate marker light kits?
There are several ebay sellers with them but they all have chrome bezels. Let me go through my feedback and see if I can find you a link

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually

Last edited by cochino12; 11-25-2010 at 09:56 PM.
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
RAYZDUP85

I was just on ebay and saw a set on there, may be what your lookin for
RAYZDUP85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
DetroitDan

I've spent hours over 2 days searching online including ebay. thanks for any help!
Old 11-26-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
80SPORT

I recently purchased a new set for our 79 from my local GM dealer....I think Trucklite also makes one that is very close to stock GM.
The newer(81-91) style is different from the 73-80 also
80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:09 AM   #6
pig rig

you can get them at NAPA look in there psa or spa (something like that)catalog

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:59 AM   #7
Outlaw87

Not sure if this is what your looking for, but here is a nice set of non LED ones on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TAILG...Q5fAccessories
Outlaw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:35 AM   #8
DetroitDan

those are the exact ones I used before, I actually like the chrome even though it isn't correct, but those lights have a white plastic base and the lens is thin and not solidly red, they're like partially clear, or a little too transparent I guess you could say. So they light up a really ight , clear looking red, instead of a full red. That's actually what I like about LEDs, they are very red.
Might end up getting those ones again and just replacing the actual lights with the better Grote or Truck-lite units.