The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
J-Bo

72' Engine and Trans

I am new to the board and really like what I have seen so far. I just bought a 72' Cheyenne 3/4 ton long bed 4x4. I actually don't have it yet as it is on a flat bed heading my way to SC from Utah. It has a 4" lift and I will run 35" tires to start with. I has 350 that was rebuilt 10 years ago.

I want to add more power and was wondering what the board consensus is for a budget minded engine replacement. I would like around 400 HP. Salvage yards seem the way to go. From my research, I am thinking the LQ4/LQ9 LS series engines are a good choice. Have any of you run the all aluminum Caddy engines in your trucks? Is the cast aluminum block verses the cast iron block much difference when you consider this truck will primarily be a weekend driver/hauler?

Do any of you have any other suggestions? How about the trans? I don't know much about the 700R4's but I am guessing that a TH400 would better suit the increased output from an LS engine?

Thanks for any help.
J-Bo is offline   Reply With Quote