The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #1
highwinger

Fun burb experience this weekend

The burb & I have been feuding for a while. So after a fix this weekend, we took it on a family trip, about 75mi one way.

We still have to get use to the attention we receive. The initial response is "what are you looking at?". We quickly recall what we're driving.

On the back we stopped for lunch and looked for the street that has a monthly car show because we wanted to attend some time. As luck would have it, we get there a half hour after the official start of the show. Against my wife's suggestion, I parked off to the side not in the show. After lunch, we walked up & down the street drooling at all the cars. On the way back to the burb, we over heard a fellow saying, "Look at that old Suburban over there. It should be in the show." Of course I got an immediate, "told you so" from you know who. Since the cars are allowed to drive down the middle of the blocked-off street upon departure, we did capitalize on a brief drive thru showing.

Albeit a bit of hardship and hard work at times, it's still an enjoyable, comfortable and cool ride.

Sunday...it was back to its shenanigans...
highwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: Fun burb experience this weekend

That's cool you got the Suburban out on the road for a stretch, and to take in a quick show off to the side. You will find yourself wondering what others are pointing at or waving to you, then realizing you are in a cool old Suburban that not many people get to see anymore.

Funny story about mine recently. I was getting my Suburban ready for the Brothers show here in SoCal, and I wanted to have the braking system checked by an expert. So I took her into to a local shop that is old car/truck friendly, and once the brakes were checked it needed a test drive by the shop owner. He took her out for the test drive, and came back a few minutes later.
As he came into the shop, he had a big smile on his face and said "That is a mans truck!", "Everything is manual!", "What gear ratio is in there? You can start from a stop in just about every gear!"

There were a couple older guys in the lobby waiting for their trucks as well, and they were all laughing saying that truck is when trucks were trucks. Then everyone started talking about their old trucks they've had in the past, and all were wishing they still had them today.

Then on the way home, I am sitting at a light in a double left turn intersection. When a brand new Ford 4x4 crew cab, all lifted and full of suspension mods pulls up next to me. The driver gets my attention and asks me about my Suburban, saying he had a 1972 a few years ago, and misses it to this day. Telling me it was the best truck he had ever owned, and was complimenting me on my Suburban. Then as we were saying have a nice day, he says "Now I gotta figure out how to get back to where I was going, since I went out of my way to look at your Suburban!"

Just one of the fun by products of owning and driving old trucks, especially these Suburbans!

As for the shenanigans.. They all do that! Heck mine did the night before the show I was preparing for, and snapped the ball stud off the engine for the clutch linkage rendering me dead in the water in a right turn lane forcing me to call a tow truck and not going to the show...

Old trucks, ya gotta love 'em!

Last edited by vectorit; 08-14-2014 at 01:47 PM. Reason: grammar brakes, not breaks! lol
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #3
highwinger

I got a feel for how much attention it'd get when I drove to work the first week after bringing it home in May when a guy in a Dodge pulled up and asked to trade.

We did take it camping the previous weekend. We had no problem getting our stuff in there. Since it's new to me, it'll take a couple trips to get the load more organized tho. We didn't sleep in it like we did our van so I didn't have to prep it for sleeping. Eventually, I will get the AL bubble wrap to shade the windows and rig the room A/C (the only way to camp in FL).
Old 08-13-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
Cumminpwr11
Southern Nevada Coal Roller

I miss that attention. I need to get my burb back on the road. The puzzled looks from the cummins clacking away. then they see the powered by Cummins badge. Then I am popping the hood. Great times. Can't wait.

Chris

72 Suburban, 1 ton dodge chassis 4wd cummins, DTT 47rh 89%, PDR VE 3200 spring, PODS, Piers Turbo.

36 Chevy P/U rat rod project. 4bta cummins
Cumminpwr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Alex V.

It is great, ain't it? The looks from some people make me wonder how many of the young guys that are lucky to have worked on an 80's truck actually realize what it is. Took mine to pick up a '67 327 block and heads from being magnafluxed at the rebuilder the other day - it was kinda cool to have a complete 327 in pieces (everything else from that engine was in the back of the 'Burb for storage) in the back, running errands with all 4 windows down and Seger on the radio. Highwinger, I can only dream of mine blending in at a car show for want of all the obvious rust! Some day.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
highwinger

That's not rust...it's patina it a rat rod . Seriously, people bring all kinds in any condition to the shows. These burbs are rare enough to draw attention and usually won't get shown-up by any others showing up.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Alex V.

Hmmm, you make a good point. Let's see another truck show up with a granny low 4-speed that's still sitting at stock ride height!

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote