The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
406 Q-ship

Factory Tach and an HEI

I was looking to convert the gauge cluster in my 67 C10 to a Tach and Vac gauge cluster. The Classic Ind. catalog says that the kit they sell will not work with an HEI (came with the truck), well that just does not sound right to me at all. To those out there that have a factory Tach and HEI did you have any issues and if so did a tach filter take care of any problems. I have run early cars (70 - 72 Chevelle/Monte Carlos) with factory tachs and an HEI and for the life of me can not figure out why the truck tach would be different.

Thanks for the help.

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
john
member #16

Re: Factory Tach and an HEI

I put a tach kit with hei in mine, and it works good. No difference in rpm's from point dist.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
71 super

I have an hei in my 68 and it works fine with the factory tach. I also have an ignitor ignition in my 71 with the factory tach and it also works without any issue.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
406 Q-ship

Thanks for the quick responses.......that is what I thought. Probably they had an issue with a return and had to eat it, so they are giving the rout answer of "will not work with an HEI".

Where patience fails, force prevails

Stapp's Ironical Paradox "The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
406 Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
OhOneWS6

Maybe you should call Classic and ask why theirs won't work with an HEI. Maybe there is a reason.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
69sixpackbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 Q-ship View Post
I was looking to convert the gauge cluster in my 67 C10 to a Tach and Vac gauge cluster. The Classic Ind. catalog says that the kit they sell will not work with an HEI (came with the truck), well that just does not sound right to me at all. To those out there that have a factory Tach and HEI did you have any issues and if so did a tach filter take care of any problems. I have run early cars (70 - 72 Chevelle/Monte Carlos) with factory tachs and an HEI and for the life of me can not figure out why the truck tach would be different.

Thanks for the help.
They just want to sell you something you don't need. It will be fine with the HEI.
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Bluegrass

Old post but need some tech tach advice. I just converted to HEI on my 1967 6 cyl. I have the correct 6 cyl tach....I have a nice factory repo tach harness and everything is hooked up tight. The tach is bouncy and is not reading correct. I see some people are using a "tach filter" is that what I need to correct the issue? any help or advice would be great. Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device called classic and they do not deAl with factory tach situations....but were really nice about it

Last edited by Bluegrass; 07-27-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote