The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #1
red rumbler

shaving door handle questions

hey guys . i have always thought that a shaved door handle is cool and ive always wanted to do it but i am always thinking if my battery goes flat my new door handle is a brick.... on the other hand if i made the key lock my new door handle that would work as a backup but if im gonna shave it i think it would look better if i shaved the whole thing... iono any opinions would be great. thanks guys.
red rumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
jrsmith_2010
I like turtles...

Re: shaving door handle questions

well ive been in the same boat. my bro did this to his grandam and ran bicycle brake cables through his fire wall that were connected to the door latches, so if the battery dies, he can get under the hood and pull them to get in. i thought about this when i did mine, and i didnt like the idea. but my truck has a sliding back window. so in the event of the battery dying, i can crawl through and pull the hood release and use a car to jump it. but if u dont have a sliding back window, there are numerous ways to go about this, and im sure others will chime in.
2006 Chevy Cobalt-college car, staying stock

Whatever can't get fixed with a hammer, a roll of duct tape, a clothes hanger, a tube of glue, and a case of beer, can wait until tomorrow.
jrsmith_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

My S-10 is shaved, I used a bicycle cable as an emergency release. I also have a pair of charging/jump post hidden yet accessible for emergency power if needed.

At this moment I pretty much hate the shaved handles. The solenoids seem to have a short life span no matter the brand. I have a brand new set of the AVS solenoids that I'll be installing shortly. I'll let you guys know how it works out.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Old Yeller 1970
DON'T TREAD ON ME

My lil' brother had them on his '86. This was all his idea and none of mine. He had the body shop install them during the repaint. Then I ended up working on them thereafter. The short story is we finally reinstalled regular door handles.

The long story is everything that could go wrong with the SOBs did. We had dead batteries, emergency pull cables that didn't work or broke, burned out solenoids, wireless receivers that didn't receive, regularly left keys in ignition and got out of the truck and oh s**t now I can't open the door, contactors in the wireless receiver that wouldn't send enough electricity to the solenoids to fully operate them, and so we added a hidden electric switch in a bed stake pocket that worked till the switch burned out. This thing was nothing but a giant PITA. When the remote switch burned out that was the last straw and we ripped the whole damned thing out and re-installed good old made in the USA factory GM Chevrolet door handles.

This thing was like running a race car on the street it's not meant to be done but it can be done. If you just have to have it and you're willing to live with all the idiosyncrasies of shaved door handles then go for it. Just be aware of what you may be getting in to.

Last edited by Old Yeller 1970; 04-03-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old Yeller 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I have done it to quite a few vehicles over the years and never had any real issues. But, I always hooked up the "remote" button for the "locking the keys in" emergency and most times hooked up a "hot terminal" to jump the battery. The older cars don't need that because the hood latch is entirely external.
I did have to "break-in" to the trunk of a '67 Impala one time because the actuator failed. That was a nice little adventure....Seems like it would be easy, just pop out the top setion of the back seat right? Oh...no, this thing was full of batteries and pumps, not to mention an upholstered panel that blocked the view of the back of the seat when the trunk was open.

Heck the factory is even doing it now. The back doors of my HHR Panel do not have exterior handles, they work by a button on the dash. The '08 and newer models work from the key fob remote too.

Speaking of that, if you are really worried about the "life" of your actuators, maybe try some of the GM units? I'm sure they did some serious durability testing before putting something like that into production. They might co$t, but it might be worth it in the long run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 04-03-2010 at 11:42 AM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
HumbleChevyBuddy

I used to have a 97 S-10 with shaved handles. There were several times when I actually left the keys in the truck, accidentally. Luckily it was an extended cab so I was able to pry the passenger rear window enough to put this "customized" long stick with a hook that would allow me to reach from the window to the driver door, pull the handle, and push to open the door. I actually got pretty good with it after a while...sad to say. I carried this "custom" tool in the bed of my truck for emergencies. Eventually, I got into the rhythm of making sure I had my keys while parking and always rolling the windows down when I was going to get out of the truck while it was on.

I sold that truck about 8 yrs ago and I STILL do those same things. It's funny, but I think it will be ok when I shave mine in a few months.

Because of those experiences, I also thought of some ideas that could prevent some of those issues. For example, putting a pair of charging posts somewhere accessible, installing an emergency manual latch, etc.

For my new project truck, I was planning on installing some terminals under the truck to use a 9v square battery to unlock the door's powerlocks I'm going to install and then I'm going to get this kit from AutoLoc:

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...?itemid=sverkd

In theory, it SHOULD work. But I'll have to always carry another "custom" tool for those times when it doesn't
HumbleChevyBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Leadfoot82

I have an 85 C10 and i bought the autoloc shaved door kit. I know how to install the solenoids except the wiring... I have the one the includes three relays and two 35 pound solenoids. If you could help that would kick ass!
Leadfoot82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
dv8customs

Autoloc should be able to provide you a schematic
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
cory d

i dont like the ides on not beeing able to manually open the door. i think it would be cool to do beretta handles
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
Leadfoot82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8customs View Post
Autoloc should be able to provide you a schematic
Dude, your work has inspired me. I when out an bought a flux welder because if i use a mig i could blow up something lol. I like the 62 hood idea molded to the c10 hood. You also kicked ass with that chop and dropping the rear window genius idea. If i was not a novice welder i would totally chop my 85. Rock on bro looking forward to seeing more of your progression.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
Gordonr1973
Home Built '87

I put them on my '98

I would not do it again unless I was building a full-blown show car trailer queen

Same reasons as those listed above, but there are some good remedies listed here too.

1998 White Chev ext cab 2WD (Summer Project) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=408424
1987 Chev Silverado SWB (Winter Project Rebuild) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424833
Truck Club http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=466969
Gordonr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
My S-10 is shaved, I used a bicycle cable as an emergency release. I also have a pair of charging/jump post hidden yet accessible for emergency power if needed.

At this moment I pretty much hate the shaved handles. The solenoids seem to have a short life span no matter the brand. I have a brand new set of the AVS solenoids that I'll be installing shortly. I'll let you guys know how it works out.
From nearly 2 years ago......The AVS solenoids rock! I'll be using AVS solenoids on my 50 when I do the suicide door hinge install.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot82 View Post
I have an 85 C10 and i bought the autoloc shaved door kit. I know how to install the solenoids except the wiring... I have the one the includes three relays and two 35 pound solenoids. If you could help that would kick ass!
I have heard NOTHING good about Autoloc products...AVS is where it is at.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
Gyawo

Quote:
From nearly 2 years ago......The AVS solenoids rock! I'll be using AVS solenoids on my 50 when I do the suicide door hinge install/
Going to order the AVS kit in a couple months for my '95 S10... Good to hear they work well.
Gyawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #15
bigblock73
yeller

Spal is a good brand as well.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyawo View Post
Going to order the AVS kit in a couple months for my '95 S10... Good to hear they work well.
I have the AVS kit that bolts to and becomes part of your existing latch. Trouble free install and has worked every time for me. AVS also offers the same style kit for C-10s.

My experience with Autoloc has been negative with both product and customer service. Autoloc as well as several other companies are owned by "The Hoffman Group".

Old 01-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
Leadfoot82

Quote:
I have the AVS kit that bolts to and becomes part of your existing latch. Trouble free install and has worked every time for me. AVS also offers the same style kit for C-10s.

My experience with Autoloc has been negative with both product and customer service. Autoloc as well as several other companies are owned by "The Hoffman Group".
Well good thing i havent installed it i am returning the autoloc and getting the AVS.
They just seem better and I found a step by step including wiring instruction for this product. Autoloc nothing!

Thanks to all!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
dv8customs

I have had poor luck with Autoloc in the past and will be using the AVS kit on mine as well.
dv8customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
jrcaprai

I have them on mine as well and I would NOT do it again... What a pain in the ass...
If the Solenoids move at all they don't work right...
I would put smooth handles from something else if I did it over again
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #20
SS From the "Wood"

I didn't see where AVS had a bolt on kit for 73-87's or at least one that was specific to them.
SS From the "Wood" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #21
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS From the "Wood" View Post
I didn't see where AVS had a bolt on kit for 73-87's or at least one that was specific to them.

http://www.avsontheweb.com/home.php?cat=527

Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #22
joe231

Another option:

http://kindigit.com/goods.php
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #23
SS From the "Wood"

Quote:
not sure how i missed this on their site... would love a full kit that combined w/ a remote start too. i guess most aftermarket's could operate door kit too though.
SS From the "Wood" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #24
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS From the "Wood" View Post
not sure how i missed this on their site... would love a full kit that combined w/ a remote start too. i guess most aftermarket's could operate door kit too though.
I almost didn't find it, first thought was rut roe. LOL. I'd give them a call and see what they recommend.