The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
higXtech

opinions on 6x9s - outdated ?

I'm on a few other car related forums and it seems like the general feeling is if you are making a new speaker hole go with a 6.5 inch round speaker. Avoid "3-way" speakers and try to go components if you have space for the crossovers.

But on this forum.. seems like a 6x9 is the speaker of choice. Are you guys doing this because you already had a 6x9 hole?

The PO put some fancy robotic looking 6x9s in the doors so i'll stick with them but I really wish he didn't cut 6x9 holes. They really don't sound any better then some basic coaxial 6.5 CDT Audio speakers i've put in other vehicles. Maybe i'm just propagating internet lore and 6x9s really are the way to go in these trucks.

take care,
higz
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: opinions on 6x9s - outdated ?

6x9s used to be the standard, but 6 inch rounds sound really great too. I have done systems with both, and the difference is really not there.

6x9's often have a second tweeter in them which is nice if they are in the back. That is the only difference I found. Or can hear.

Spend money on speakers designed for what you listen too, and you'll be happy.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
69GWC

I see this as well, I used to all ways run Pioneer 6x9s in everything I put speakers in and they all ways sounded great and were pretty loud and clear.
I have have seen alot of 6.5" speakers and it seems most people install something like this over 6x9s.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
69GWC

69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #5
jimmydean

I have never and will never put an oval speaker in any of my builds. A quality 6.5 round will do anything a 6x9 can and will sound and respond better IMO. I would rather do a 6.5 + 3.5 in a 6x9 space.

Even better, run a 6.5 separate with tweeter and a 3.5 with passive crossovers.

I have Infinity 6.5 mids in my kick panels, tweeter in the door, 4.5 coax in the dash, and Infinity 6.5 coax in the rear with 2 10's for bass. Passive crossovers on the separates, electronic crossovers pre amp and dialed in. Round, round, round.

I just think speakers look funny oval anf 6x9's have never looked good to me.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
lilpoindexter

I always hear jibber jabber about 6x9's not reproducing sound correctly due to the shape, and what not, but you would probably need some sort of a machine to notice. At some point some one put 6x9's in my doors. So I put some 2 way JBL speakers in the doors, running off only the head unit. I thought about putting a sub under the seat, adding an amp, etc, but to hell with it...my truck is a beater, and the cab is small, the little 6x9's are fine.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

IMO, 6x9's are not an IDEAL speaker....BUT more often than not they do fine. What I've noticed is many people have run a big 6x9 on a cheap head unit, and wonder why it doesn't sound good. A quality 6x9 with an amp (and a few minutes messing with the EQ) sounds JUST fine, and usually offers some decent lows if your not running a sub. IMO 6x9's work just fine as a rear fill speaker, just don't make them your main stage.

I run 6x9's as a fill speaker in the doors (not ideal, but they were already cut, so I just made it work), and then I have some 6.5 components in a box/console. With a good head unit, and a good amp my truck sounds very good, clear, and has enough power and bass to make me happy on the road.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
derrickmanx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
IMO, 6x9's are not an IDEAL speaker....BUT more often than not they do fine. What I've noticed is many people have run a big 6x9 on a cheap head unit, and wonder why it doesn't sound good. A quality 6x9 with an amp (and a few minutes messing with the EQ) sounds JUST fine, and usually offers some decent lows if your not running a sub. IMO 6x9's work just fine as a rear fill speaker, just don't make them your main stage.

I run 6x9's as a fill speaker in the doors (not ideal, but they were already cut, so I just made it work), and then I have some 6.5 components in a box/console. With a good head unit, and a good amp my truck sounds very good, clear, and has enough power and bass to make me happy on the road.

X2 I hope they aren't outdated because my doors already have holes for them that I don't want to repair. I just got a pair of jl audio 6x9" c2's. They sounded pretty good with a good head unit and amp at the store. I almost got the focal's but they had a weak grill and they sounded so close to each other. They do put out better mid bass compared to my old alpine 6.5's. I'm going to run a pair of 4" c2's in the dash also.
JAKES 4L80E TCI TCU PTC 10.5" 2800 STALL
My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...30#post5779530
derrickmanx1 is offline   Reply With Quote