The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
WadmalawJoe

My nothing finer than a 69r project

I bought my first 69 Chevy truck last month (oct. 2012).
I wanted to pay cash for a truck and spend less than $5,000 and didn't want to buy a 10 year worn out truck. I decided a classic truck would be perfect. As long as I maintain it, the value should either build because its a classic or at least hold its value. Plus they look freaking cool. I have a few methods of transportation so I don't have the pressure of keeping it running as a daily driver.
I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted. I used C.L. as my source, plus looked around. There was several to choose from. I chose this one because both the motor and transmission have been recently rebuilt (allegedly, I will explain more later). All the other trucks would need motor work and lots of body work.
The truck is painted primer black. It looked good, had me thinking of having it painted a satin black maybe. Then I decided it would look more classic if I went with the regular white roof style paint job. I'm leaning towards red and white as of now (the day after a election day of our sorry ass communist president).
The engine is a 350, allegedly the original rebuilt block, I need to look at vin numbers and I keep forgetting. The transmission is the 400 automatic, allegedly original as well. Both engine and trans have been chromed out as in drain pans, valve covers, timing covers. I have just been wondering if they installed the chrome and called it "rebuilding the engine" . It does run good and shifts good. It has a edlebrock carb and intake as well.
I can go on and on so I will post some pictures and post more updates later.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I知 back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
WadmalawJoe

Re: My nothing finer than a 69r project

The first issues I had to deal with is the brakes and the exhaust. The next day after bringing her home I found out that the rear brakes were dragging. You couldn't hear it over the exhaust, you could feel it a little while driving. I noticed the smell and then the hot rear rims.
I took it to a local garage to let them deal with the brakes as well as the exhaust. They replaced the master cylinder and the rear hose. This was not the only problem though. The next day it was doing the same thing, dragging... I ended up replacing both rear brake cylinders replacing both steel lines to each back tire and reflushing the back lines. I did the gravity bleeding method and it worked great. I bent the lines myself using in stock lines from NAPA, $4 each. It was a little tricky having to use up an extra 4-6 inches of line, but I didn't want to cut the line, re-flare, etc etc. The brakes have been working fine since then.
The exhaust was dumping under the bed and causing a horrible drone in the cab. The shop I took it to, went the easy route and just turned it out each side.
While I was doing brakes I cleaned up and painted the drums. I try to do little things as I go along.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I知 back!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
WadmalawJoe

I was having problems with rust in the fuel lines and up to the carb of course. I decided on getting a new gas tank as opposed to cleaning out the old one and sealing it. I read stories about linings peeling back off from inside the tanks and more problems. Plus it looked like a sealing kit would run $80+/- and a new tank was $140. If a tank was $3-400 I might have felt differently.
Also my fuel gauge wasn't working and thanks to help on here I figured out that it was the sending unit.
When I removed the tank I found the original light blue color and I was pleased with the condition behind the tank and down in the cab corners. Not nearly as bad as I thought it might be.
As you can see in the picture with some dark blue paint, there used to be some kind of sticker/decal. I'm thinking jack storage instructions maybe??

Old 11-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
WadmalawJoe

Tailgate project;
It had rust holes and one heck of a dent right in the middle of the Chevrolet. I really really wish I would've taken a before picture. I had to cut out the V R O letters , pound it flat to get the dent out. Then weld it back in. I welded in various pinholes as well. I am pleased how it came out except the top of the letter R, is a little flat. My 5 year old was "working" on tailgate with me. He calls it his job

I also sanded, primed and painted the roof section.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
67cheby
67cheby

looks like a fun project, keep the pics coming !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #6
WadmalawJoe

Thanks 67cheby!

There was my spark plug boot discovery as well. I was crawling around looking things over when I noticed the plug boot.

The p.o. had the exhaust partly done. I think the exhaust installers burned a hole thru the boot when they burned out a bolt or something. Its the plug right next to the manifold connection. I like how someone tried to hide it with red electric tape, but electric tape is not strong enough to hold back the spark plug voltage. I have not been able to locate a single 8.8 plug wire. They seem to be only available in the V8 packs of 8. I cut the last 1 & 1/2 inches of burned up boot off, slide the remainder down and it has been working fine.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
MFCopenhagen

Nice lookin' truck! Looking forward to more! I just bought my first '69 pickup this week. I'll hopefully get a build thread started soon.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #8
WadmalawJoe

Thanks! I guess I need to update this thread.

I have rebuild my bed (with some help!)

While bed was off I wire brushed frame and parts, then painted it

I used oak and stained it black oak, also I will be painting the truck the hugger orange color and opted to leave metal strips off

I had the dual exhaust replaced with all new pipes and mufflers

Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
WadmalawJoe

I have also replaced the distributor with a new HEI distributor and noticed it does start easier and runs smoother.

I also experimented with putting the original style side mirrors on. Looks better but they vibrate to much and are borderline useless. I'm thinking of going with the 71-72 sporty mirrors.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
WadmalawJoe

Some updates;
I have painted the inside;

It was blue, I need to change the dash pad to black and the visors as well.