The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
mud.man.rj

72 2wd 6cyl to v8 motor mounts.

Not sure if I need different pad style mounts for the frame or just move my 6cyl mounts a bolt hole ahead, I have always had v8 trucks so not sure putting a v8 in this truck, anyone have the answer. I picked up mounts and they look the same as the 6 cyl. Thanks/Rick/Mudman.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: 72 2wd 6cyl to v8 motor mounts.

The mounts are the same, I 6 /250, or sb....the stands do set you in a different spot(2wd, it 3 1/2" difference....forward on the sb). On a 4wd truck, that sb sits on the same I/6,250 stands If you need more info, just ask AL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
mud.man.rj

Thanks, that is all the info I need, especially being a small block, thought it was that way but wasn't sure, good stuff will move them ahead one hole tomorrow night. Appreciate the help.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
Thanks, that is all the info I need, especially being a small block, thought it was that way but wasn't sure, good stuff will move them ahead one hole tomorrow night. Appreciate the help.
I am not sure that you understand, the stands are totally different....(sb,vs I 6 -250). Yes, the mounts are the same, & I have used the I 6 mounts/stands.. to set the sb,. It fits, but darn tight, with an HEI dist(I prefer it that way), but your choice! If you want to move from orig spot....It might be better to use the sb stands, & move em back a set of holes(redrill on the bottom). Any info you need, you can post here, many good guys to help.....or you can PM , I have played with these old trucks, for 30+ yrs. best of fun....AL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 05-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
mud.man.rj

Right now the mounts in the truck are in the back holes but the Hei hits the firewall (well, slightly) so got a set of V8 mounts and almost totally identical to what is in the truck, so thought if I move them ahead one hole and drill bottom hole they should work for the V8.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
crazy longhorn

The V8 sb stands are different from the I 6 stands.....you can probably move the I 6 stands forward & redrill,on the bottom.....but it will put the nose of the engine up a tad? if you can live with that, no issues the spot that the bottom of the stands mount, is lower on the I 6 set It might not cause an issue, going that way? let us know how it goes....AL
Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
mud.man.rj

I removed the stands and did a better comparison and your right they look close but the 6 cyl stands are a bit taller, see what you mean so will move the v8 stands ahead and redrill the bottom hole.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

There is no need to drill any holes. Proper small block stands bolt into the front existing holes. If you're drilling, you've got the wrong stands.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Check out this thread, post number 14, I put a bunch of labeled pictures in there to help you with this same issue.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=341808
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
mud.man.rj

I see what you mean TX, but my crossmember doesn't have the bottom hole when moved forward, only the extra top hole, so will drill the bottom hole when moved ahead, good news is I do have the right V8 stands, especially when looking at the pic's. Thanks a lot for the help guy's, appreciate it.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
crazy longhorn

I will try again (didn't explain all the 1 st time)....The v8 sb mounts, moved to the back set of holes, will set you about 1" forward from where you are. Understand , that the diff in the holes on the frame is 2 1/2 "...., but the stands are shaped differently(3 1/2" diff from I 6 vs sb spot). Here goes,you can move the engine 2 1/2" forward, by moving the original stands foward & redrilling on the bottom......or, you can use the v8 stands, slide em back a set of holes, redrill the bottom, & pull it 1" ahead? Not to argue with you Tex, I will take what you have to lay down AL
Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
mud.man.rj

Ok Crazy Longhorn, don't tale Tex out. So her is how things were, it actually had the I6 stands but were in the back set of holes towards firewall. So I did as Tex stated and moved the V8 mounts ahead one hole and left them there...But your saying move the mounts to the back hole where my I6 mounts were. I guess the last guy had moved the stands back a hole ahead of time with the last V8. So lond story short I should move my mounts back to the last set of holes. Ok will test fit the engine anyway to see where the 700R4 fits to see what I have to cut from front drive shaft. When I got the truck it had a 350 in it with a 3spd standard but had the weird bellhousing mount and the engine was close to firewall. Well overall at least I have the right stands and see the difference in them. Thanks for helping me. Will get it now after some test fitting.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Ok Crazy Longhorn, don't tale Tex out. So her is how things were, it actually had the I6 stands but were in the back set of holes towards firewall. So I did as Tex stated and moved the V8 mounts ahead one hole and left them there...But your saying move the mounts to the back hole where my I6 mounts were. I guess the last guy had moved the stands back a hole ahead of time with the last V8. So lond story short I should move my mounts back to the last set of holes. Ok will test fit the engine anyway to see where the 700R4 fits to see what I have to cut from front drive shaft. When I got the truck it had a 350 in it with a 3spd standard but had the weird bellhousing mount and the engine was close to firewall. Well overall at least I have the right stands and see the difference in them. Thanks for helping me. Will get it now after some test fitting.
It sounds like the last guy just set the sb in on the I 6 stands (if I read right)? To swap to the sb stands, in proper forward location,you should not have to redrill any holes (as Tex stated). It will move the engine forward 3 1/2" from where it is tho. If you have already done the driveshaft,it might make you swear! The suggestion I gave was to use the v8 stands, but in the rear holes on the top of the frame, to move the eng just foward enough to clear the dist/firewall issue ( just trying to save you on the d shaft cost) If you are also swapping the trans, that point is moot....you can use the proper stands in forward location, bolt her down & put the rear trans crossmember in place/ build the shaft accordingly. Best of fun,crazyL
Old 05-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
mud.man.rj

Thanks Longhorn, I understand what you mean, totally. I did install them in the forward holes with the v8 stands, and understand what you mean, just being a 700R4 replacing the 3spd manual trans not sure of length, so will do some test fitting and cross my fingers that the shaft will work either in forward or rear frame holes, lets hope one of them does, thanks again guy's. Rick/Mudman.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
crazy longhorn

I have not played with the 700 r4, but it is my understanding, that it is a tad longer than the stick speed you pulled out...or compairable length 350 hydro (short tail on the hydro). My bet, is that you will be close on line length, with the eng forward as it should be (factory position on the sb.) Tex don't tell any storys.....just "square up"! Best of fun,let us know... AL
Old 05-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
mud.man.rj

I am hoping it will work out, actually could redrill frame further ahead if I had to to gain another inch or so, running electric fans so have an extra bit of room ahead to work with.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:15 AM   #17
crazy longhorn

Quote:
I am hoping it will work out, actually could redrill frame further ahead if I had to to gain another inch or so, running electric fans so have an extra bit of room ahead to work with.
You can actually "fudge" on the set....set her where she needs to go You can take all the best advice, from 3-4 guys....after that, set that little bioch, where you want her I am not stuck on factory specs....will drill, or burn some metal, to make it work? "Feel" what works for you, & DO IT, Don't look back! AL
Old 05-26-2013, 01:24 AM   #18
mud.man.rj

Oh I agree big time, I fab anything I can, never buy exhaust, cut up and make my own 3" and 2.5" kits, a bit more fun in the long run, but is nice to ask a few guy's to know what mounts are what them burn and fab, haha. That s.blk 400 is going in no matter what.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:03 AM   #19
crazy longhorn

I am not "carved in stone".....set that little 'mill", where she feels good to you I was, & will always be "the rebel, with a different thought"....tried to explain to the parents "maybe I am not wrong, just different" AL
Old 05-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
mud.man.rj

That's why my parents said I too was ..different, and how true they were. Prob is everyone else caught on to me and want me to build their stuff so it has an edge to it, have been doing that for 30 years now to everyone else's projects but just about done with them, gettin older at almost 52 so now it's time for me full blown and time for them to figure out their own builds, want to see that. Down to helping a "few" select friends now, don't need the money like I used too, just time to cruise and have a lot of fun rippin up the streets.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #21
crazy longhorn

It sounds like you have the "mindset" , for the mods you need to do; Have fun, & let us know how she goes AL
Old 05-26-2013, 11:49 PM   #22
mud.man.rj

I will do that, don't usually post builds I work on and would post mine more but hard to get back to mine, others pay me...but I don't pay myself very well.