The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
NW Task Force

Question Aftermarket electric fan options for 55-59 pickups

Hey folks,

I am looking for an aftermarket fan that will be my primary cooling fan for the radiator. I have purchased a new aluminum radiator that is stock dimensions and has similiar appearance to factory. I want to eliminate my mechanical fan and go full electric. I am thinking 16" fan with shroud. Here are my questions:

1. Do you absolutely need a fan shroud with electric fan to cool properly?(if so, who has the best deal on them?)

2. Does anyone recommend a good wiring harness/relay for the electric fan setup that is complete and easy to install?

I was originally looking at an aftermarket electric fan & aluminum shroud from Classic Parts (direct bolt-on for 55-59)........but the price is $200+shipping. I wanted to first see if I can achieve the same thing for much less $$.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Aftermarket electric fan options for 55-59 pickups

yes you need a shroud. what engine and what size radiator. You may want to look at Taurus fan or MarkVIII / Tbird fan.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
yes you need a shroud. what engine and what size radiator. You may want to look at Taurus fan or MarkVIII / Tbird fan.
I am running a stock 283cid with aftermarket aluminum radiator (tank on top just like stock). Radiator is a 4-core.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

What are the dimensions of the core.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #5
4544speed

I originally ordered a relay kit from Summit. (along with fans and a new radiator) It was not weather proof and the quality was not good. They did not send the connectors. So my next order was from Speedway and it was a Spal relay kit. Weatherproof relay and connectors, and less expensive. I am much happier with the Spal kit.
4544speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 AM   #6
OrrieG

Why an electric fan, stock v8 has plenty of clearance for standard waterpump fan?
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Why an electric fan, stock v8 has plenty of clearance for standard waterpump fan?
I actually have no clearance issues. I just want to dump the mechanical fan, save a few ponies and mount an electric fan that comes on with a thermostat. The engine sits lower since I'm equipped with a camaro subframe. The core support is higher, this leads to a difference in fan to shroud alignment. I bought an original 1958 Apache V8 fan shroud years ago. The shroud looks kinda like a pipe culvert with mounting tabs. Unfortunately it does not fit as described above because of the core support to engine geometry. I refuse to hack, cut and weld the uncommon shroud.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
AZ59apacheguy

PM sent
AZ59apacheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Maximus

As mentioned, the shroud is vital. It causes your fan to physically PULL air through all of the fins that are blocked by the shroud. I just bought a electric fan on ebay, made a home-made shroud and bought a "Be Cool" relay kit from summit racing that worked fine. I have only driven my truck 4-5 times since installing the fan but all seems okay.

Here is a tip:
make sure you install the temp. sensor IN THE ENGINE or intake manifold. I installed my sensor in the radiator bung at first to try and save some wiring, but the temp sensor was never able to get hot enough to keep the fan on because by the time the water passed through the radiator it was already cooled down.
I re-ran the wiring properly to the top of the intake manifold and installed the temp. switch in a port on my intake manifold and the fan operates now as it should.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
Katrina/10

I used an Chevrolet Celebrity fan from the U pull it. $18, works fine.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #11
OKGMC4

x2 on the TBird fan. Mine works awesome and have less than $100 in everything, relays, wire, and all. It never gets hot enough to reach the high speed.

I posted some info in my build thread here on how to set it up, post 162 and 165...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=368649&page=7

Hope that helps.

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
mr48chev

The factory fans may not be quite as "pretty" as some of the aftermarket fans but they are built to last for years on end and seldom ever give trouble. They also seem to pull air a lot better than a lot of the aftermarket fans. Along with the Tarus fans take a look at the fans on front wheel drive Cadillac Devilles. They have two side by side on the cross flow radiators but they are pretty large diameter and pretty thin.

Personally unless you are competitively drag racing I don't think the horsepower draw would be enough to write home about. The electric fans draw a few amps which cause the alternator to have to charge those amps or more to put the juice back in the battery and that pretty well uses up what ever power you might save or think you saved. If you tell me that you don't think having the stock fan mounted low on the radiator will do enough cooling to cool the engine I'll buy that without question.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #13
_Ogre

NW, i have that same set up in truk as the picture you posted.
spal 16 inch fan with an aluminum shroud from US radiator
the first shroud they sent me had the tabs welded on the wrong edges
i have it for sale in the 55-59 parts sub-forum
if you know someone who can tig al your good as gold

as for the wiring, any thermal switch from napa with the right on/off temps and a relay is all you need
that's all i did

i had 2 ports for the thermal switch in my intake manifold: one was used for the MEFI controller for my engine and one was used by my temp gauge.
i installed the thermal switch for my fan in my lower radiator hose, this has worked for the last 15,000 miles.
i welded half of a ss coupling into a piece of ss muffler tube

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #14
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Here is a tip:
make sure you install the temp. sensor IN THE ENGINE or intake manifold. I installed my sensor in the radiator bung at first to try and save some wiring, but the temp sensor was never able to get hot enough to keep the fan on because by the time the water passed through the radiator it was already cooled down.
I re-ran the wiring properly to the top of the intake manifold and installed the temp. switch in a port on my intake manifold and the fan operates now as it should.
maximus: you just explained why not to install the temp sensor in the engine or intake.
if your engine is up to temp but the thermostat has not opened yet, your fan will turn on and stay on until you turn the vehicle off.
even if your radiator is a cold as ice or colder (like here in michigan)
install the temp sensor in the lower tank or hose of your radiator, let your radiator do it's job.
if the water coming out of the radiator is a little warm, the sensor will turn your fan on
the fan will stay on until overly hot water quits passing the temp sensor.
an electric fan should not be on all the time
summit sells 8 different flex a lite fan radiator hose adapters for this use

Old 01-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ59apacheguy View Post
PM sent
Recieved it! Thank you!
Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
maximus: you just explained why not to install the temp sensor in the engine or intake.
if your engine is up to temp but the thermostat has not opened yet, your fan will turn on and stay on until you turn the vehicle off.
even if your radiator is a cold as ice or colder (like here in michigan)
install the temp sensor in the lower tank or hose of your radiator, let your radiator do it's job.
if the water coming out of the radiator is a little warm, the sensor will turn your fan on
the fan will stay on until overly hot water quits passing the temp sensor.
an electric fan should not be on all the time
summit sells 8 different flex a lite fan radiator hose adapters for this use
sorry, I can only speak from my own experience, but my engine overheated like mad when i had the sensor in the radiator, when it was in the engine it was fine.

Others can put it where they want, but I would rather have a slightly overused fan than a blown headgasket, my 400ci pontiac generates alot of heat.

other people I have encountered also use the Intake manifold... i dunno...
Link to other form where intake is suggested...

Last edited by Maximus; 01-10-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Speedbumpauto

Michigan is the operative term here. Most of us in the west/southwest have never had that problem, but I can see how it could happen. The way I solved the problem(fan running all the time) was using a 195 degree fan switch and a 180 stat on my open T bucket. It has a marginal rad due to style considerations and I discovered I can keep the temp down much longer if I manually turn the fans on at 180 in the summer instead of letting the 195 degree fan switch do it. I'm solving the problem in the 55 by using a thermostat housing with a threaded plug just above the T stat for the fan relay. I like that look better than splicing the hose and it will do the same thing. I'll still use the 195 fan switch as I don't have a problem with the engine running that hot using a tunnel ram and EFI and synthetic oil.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #18
Maximus

my setup works for me right now, but if i needed to change my sensor position for any reason i would probably use one of these before using my radiator ports...

http://www.steigerperformance.com/PRODUCTS/sp40002.html
Old 01-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #19
NW Task Force

What size of fans are you guys using? (14" or 16"......pusher or puller?) Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Denee007

Well, I used the fan system mentioned on the 1st post, but copied Ogre. However my radiator was a little wider than the elec fan from Classicparts, but I made it work. (just installed the radiator/fan today!) I'm glad maximus posted the hose sensor, I'll probably go that route vs the place in the cylinder head. I considered the mechanical fan, but I like the clean look that the electric fan offers. ; ) Oh, this is a 16" fan.

67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com

Last edited by Denee007; 01-11-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: info
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #21
Daze57

N W Task Force

''What size of fans are you guys using? (14" or 16"......pusher or puller?) ''

i am using a 18 inch sidewinder puller electric

this things sucks like nobodys business ( in a good way)
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #22
_Ogre

looks good denee, nice recovery on the fan shroud width

Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #23
roger55

I am going to go with one of these:

http://www.championradiators.com/page/444495582

However, I may swap the fan out for a Spal.

I bought a Champion radiator and shroud for my '83 El Camino SS from them and I've been super happy with it.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #24
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
looks good denee, nice recovery on the fan shroud width
Hey Ogre! Is your fan a pusher or puller? I found a really great deal on a quality 14" fan unit........will this cool my stock small-block ok? Is there a minimum cfm rating I need to be looking at? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #25
Denee007

This is about the only fan/shroud that I could find that was a "direct" bolt in. I searched and searched, but gave in and bought it! I'm pleased with it,(haven't put it to work yet), but it's thinner, and a good looking assembly and I'll get to show off my engine! ; ) Sometimes I find it less painful just to pay the money for something good vs. looks like it came out of a wrecking yard. I just want my engine compartment to look like Ogre's! ; )
I just wish they had offered a wiring harness/thermostat too!(I still haven't called Dave Chapman yet!) Kind of dumb that classic didn't/doesn't offer the wiring harness stuff! . My new desert cooler radiator was a little wider and I had to make due with some 1 1/16" aluminum flat bar~ which worked out well. Evertime I try to go cheap, I pay double in the long run! lol

Ogre's is a puller, and so is mine. I can't imagine having a pusher behind the radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Task Force View Post
Hey folks,

but the price is $200+shipping. I wanted to first see if I can achieve the same thing for much less $$.
67 Ford Mustang (re-restored after Harvey)
1968 Jeep Cj5 (2-8-2020 to present)
1992 Jeep Yj (8-17-20 to present) (Jurassic build)

www.Classiccarsandtools.com
Denee007 is offline   Reply With Quote