The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
XLCOR_65

Hello, glad to be here

Hi everyone. I have always lurked this forum, looking for useful information and to drool over lots of builds. I have always been a 60-66 C10 fan...guess you could say it's in the blood. My grandfather had a gorgeous baby blue and white 66 as his farm truck, my dad had a beautiful 61 that he had put a 62 hood and grill on and painted it dark blue with a white top and re-did the seat and bed wood, and my very first vehicle purchase when I was 17 was a rusted out 1965 C10 (much to my parents chagrin). I put an old 350 in it and drove it open header for a while (when it would actually run). Sadly, a couple years later, it caught on fire while I was driving it and burned to the ground.

I loved that truck and always said I would buy another one. A couple years ago, I happened to see a beautiful red 65 for sale. It had a 230 in it and had a wrist pin knocking around inside, so I got it on the cheap. I drove it home and, sad to say, it sat for a while....but I at least had a 65 again!

I later found a solid 283 that a kid didn't want in his Chevelle anymore (because he said it wasn't running right...), so I got it for next to nothing. I took off the grossly over-carbed 750 Holley, removed the single plane intake, and did some cleaning up on the old engine. Put an original 65 2 barrel intake and Rochester 2G on it, replaced the Made in Taiwan chrome tall valve covers with Chevrolet script ones, traded the HEI for a correct points-type dizzy, found a great deal on an original air filter housing, and stabbed that baby in, and fired her up. runs smooth as silk. I have plans on rebuilding the 230 and getting everything back to original (as original as I can get it).

Anyway, I am glad to be on this forum.

(Please pay no mind to how dirty the engine compartment is... )
Attached Images

XLCOR_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Druman

Re: Hello, glad to be here

good story and good lookin truck. from one newbee to the next welcome.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
sc_frontier

Re: Hello, glad to be here

Very nice ride, welcome!
Old 11-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
XLCOR_65

Could have sworn that I posted this once...

I noticed that it said I had zero posts and I thought I at least introduced myself here a while back.....guess I never did!

Well, anyway, I will just say hey again! I have always lurked this forum, looking for useful information and to drool over lots of builds. I have always been a 60-66 C10 fan...guess you could say it's in the blood. My grandfather had a gorgeous baby blue and white 66 as his farm truck, my dad had a beautiful 61 stepper that he had put a 62 hood and grill on and painted it dark blue with a white top and re-did the seat and bed wood, and my very first vehicle purchase when I was 17 was a rusted out 1965 C10. I put an old 350 in it and drove it open header for a while (when it would actually run). Sadly, a couple years later, it caught on fire while I was driving it and burned to the ground.

I loved that truck and always said I would buy another one. A couple years ago, I happened to see a beautiful red 65 for sale. It had a 230 in it and had a wrist pin knocking around inside, so I got it on the cheap. I drove it home and, sad to say, it sat for a while....but I at least had a 65 again!

I later found a solid 283 that a kid didn't want in his Chevelle anymore (because he said it wasn't running right...), so I got it for next to nothing. I took off the grossly over-carbed 750 Holley, removed the single plane intake, and did some cleaning up on the old engine. Put an original 65 2 barrel intake and Rochester 2G on it, replaced the Made in Taiwan chrome tall valve covers with Chevrolet script ones, traded the HEI for a correct points-type dizzy, found a great deal on an original air filter housing, stabbed that baby in, and fired her up. Runs smooth as silk. (I wish I would have painted it gray, but hey, old habits die hard. haha) I have plans on rebuilding the 230 and getting everything back to original (as original as I can get it). I also hope to find some original steel wheels, side trim, and West Coast mirrors. I ran the numbers off the tag and saw that it was originally red and white. So I plan on putting the top of the cab back to white and doing the bumpers, grill, and grill surround white also.

(please pay no mind to the filthy engine compartment... )
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Re: Could have sworn that I posted this once...

That's a sweet truck! As far as the engine compartment....who cares! It's a truck! Shows that it is well used!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

Looks like a pretty straight and solid truck. The engine bay doesn't look bad to me
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #7
suxtobu65

Nice truck. I prefer the longbeds too.. Oh and WELCOME!!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
PGSigns

Not a bad old truck at all. Enjoy it they are addicting.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Sillyoldman

Welcome & nice ride! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587952

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
XLCOR_65

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I hope to post some updates of some of my latest improvements to the truck and also maybe some different projects I have done in the past.

I tell ya what, I thought I knew a lot about 60-66 trucks, but after spending time scouring this forum, I have really learned a lot more and have become even more obsessed with all original (it's the closest we can get to actual time travel! haha). I love reading the build threads of a few of the guys that have done full original restorations. I spent 15 years building hot rods professionally, and I was all about it when a customer wanted a vehicle done the way they had it when they were younger. It's great to be able to bring them back to that time and while building it, it felt like I got to help turn back the clock for them. It's a great feeling watching the customer as they see their car/truck the first time again when it's finished.

Anyway, that was a weird tangent. Thanks again for the warm welcome, you are a bunch of cool people on this forum.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
AcampoDave

Welcome, and that's funny about the 750 and single plane on the 283. Glad you saved it, they are great motors when you understand that what's good for the 383 ain't always cool for the 283. Nice truck.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #12
1963c-10

Welcome and what a great find. Looks likle a nice job on the engine swap. The 283 is a solid engine and it sounds like you got it running right.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote