The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
68c10owner

DJM 4/6 drop for my 97 GMC

Looking at this kit,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dj...1500/year/1997

Will this work on a short bed fleet side extended cab? Anything else I would need to install the kit?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: DJM 4/6 drop for my 97 GMC

I just did a 4/6 drop on an extended cab a couple of weeks ago.

We used Belltech. I think its a much better kit than the DJM for several reasons.

1) the Belltech c notches are much more substantial in that they are a full C channel that fits over the entire frame rail rather than just bolt to the outer side of the frame rail like the DJM does.

2) the lower spring plates on the Belltech are press broke to have angles on the edges instead of being a piece of flat plate like the DJM. Much stronger with those angled edges.

3) the Belltech includes a carrier bearing spacer that raises the carrier bearing to correct the driveshaft angles. The DJM completely neglects this aspect. I saw first hand that when you do a flip and don't have the carrier bearing spacer installed, the driveshaft run significantly uphill towards the rearend.

4) the Belltech kit includes spacers to raise the trans mount, again to correct driveshaft geometry. DJM neglects that

5) Belltech includes pinion angle shims that go between the springs and axle saddles. Yet again, to correct pinion angle. DJM does not.

Here is the Belltech flip kit. Compare it closely to the DJM picture and you'll see the significant differences. Its worlds better quality.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I just did a 4/6 drop on an extended cab a couple of weeks ago.

We used Belltech. I think its a much better kit than the DJM for several reasons.

1) the Belltech c notches are much more substantial in that they are a full C channel that fits over the entire frame rail rather than just bolt to the outer side of the frame rail like the DJM does.

2) the lower spring plates on the Belltech are press broke to have angles on the edges instead of being a piece of flat plate like the DJM. Much stronger with those angled edges.

3) the Belltech includes a carrier bearing spacer that raises the carrier bearing to correct the driveshaft angles. The DJM completely neglects this aspect. I saw first hand that when you do a flip and don't have the carrier bearing spacer installed, the driveshaft run significantly uphill towards the rearend.

4) the Belltech kit includes spacers to raise the trans mount, again to correct driveshaft geometry. DJM neglects that

5) Belltech includes pinion angle shims that go between the springs and axle saddles. Yet again, to correct pinion angle. DJM does not.

Here is the Belltech flip kit. Compare it closely to the DJM picture and you'll see the significant differences. Its worlds better quality.
Thanks. Just looked up the Bell tech kit. Its double the price of the DJM kit but guess you get what you pay for. I think I`ll be leaving my truck stock height for just a while longer.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Don't let me rain on your parade. I don't walk in your shoes. I just wanted to point out first hand what I saw when I did the job recently. At least it gives you something to think about.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
68c10owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Don't let me rain on your parade. I don't walk in your shoes. I just wanted to point out first hand what I saw when I did the job recently. At least it gives you something to think about.
No worries. I cant swing the Bell Tech kit and I wondered myself what DJM had for the center support. Sounds like a decent kit for a swb standard cab but for the extended cabs the Bell Tech seems to be the way to go. I`d rather put the money in the truck in a different project. I appreciate the info, it was exactly what i was looking for.