The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

Ride Tech

What's your opinion on this?

http://www.ridetech.com/store/1963-1...n-level-3.html

I had posted a thread asking about bags and then the topic got switched to coil overs in the front. Seems like the kit above has everything except the brakes. Now for $6,900 before tax and all, that doesn't seem too bad beings just the front control arms without the coil overs are $1,400 and I'm not sure if that's for both sides. Could be wrong though.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
timmytimm3

Re: Ride Tech

Seems like quality parts but I'd still be weary of smashing the stock crossmember on everything. That's the main reason I went with a PB dropmember. Plus being able to switch to a steering rack.

timmytimm3 on IG

"If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you?" -Dad
timmytimm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Pro Performance

The RideTech is a great system, but as timmytimm3 mentioned, it does still leave the cross member hanging down. The advantage of the PB, is it will raise that up, and you also get a slightly narrowed track width for better clearance, and the wheels get moved forward to center up in the wheel well. You will also get all the benefits of rack / pinion steering when going with the drop member.

Front ($2,798):
http://www.azproperformance.com/Port...63-72-C10.html

Rear ($2,050):

The front pricing is without rack / pinion, linkage, hose kit for the PS pump, drop spindles & sway bar. If you add that, it would be $1,164 more. The front systems are priced a la carte. The rear will be everything you need.

For a comparison, the PB front and rear complete would be $6,012 going with a trailing arm rear system. This is the closest comparison to the RideTech kit, but the PB does not have a rear sway, but a CPP can be added.

For the price comparison, and the advantages of the PB system, I would take a look at their kit. We are a dealer for them, so let me know if you do have questions. I would be more than happy to help you out.

Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
drag80

i went with a coilover setup in the front and back from scott's hot rods for my 80 C-10 and it was cheaper then the ride tech setup. And you gain the added clearance on the crossmember.
drag80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Performance View Post
The RideTech is a great system, but as timmytimm3 mentioned, it does still leave the cross member hanging down. The advantage of the PB, is it will raise that up, and you also get a slightly narrowed track width for better clearance, and the wheels get moved forward to center up in the wheel well. You will also get all the benefits of rack / pinion steering when going with the drop member.

Front ($2,798):

Rear ($2,050):

The front pricing is without rack / pinion, linkage, hose kit for the PS pump, drop spindles & sway bar. If you add that, it would be $1,164 more. The front systems are priced a la carte. The rear will be everything you need.

For a comparison, the PB front and rear complete would be $6,012 going with a trailing arm rear system. This is the closest comparison to the RideTech kit, but the PB does not have a rear sway, but a CPP can be added.

For the price comparison, and the advantages of the PB system, I would take a look at their kit. We are a dealer for them, so let me know if you do have questions. I would be more than happy to help you out.
I've been talking to another board member about the same set up he has, just from a different company, and he stated that switching from drums to disc narrows the track width by 3 inches.

How much does your set up narrow the front?
And if it does, is there a way to push the wheels further out towards the outside of the fender without using spacers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag80 View Post
i went with a coilover setup in the front and back from scott's hot rods for my 80 C-10 and it was cheaper then the ride tech setup. And you gain the added clearance on the crossmember.
That's what I've been told on another members thread. He just bought a coil over front set up from Scott's Hot Rods and mentioned the cross member as well. I may just have to research a few other companies that offer the cross member as well. I'd like my truck to pull the front tires off the ground quite a bit, so I'd defiantly need all the added clearance I can get up front.

Do you have any pics of the front and back of your truck with the conversion?
Old 12-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
3li9

hi
is there someone who is running the porterbuiltb coilover system with the ridetech shockwaves?
possible is it or not?
what are the differneces between extreme mild and touring for front and rear?

@Pro Performance does the blazer from your link from the front dropmember runs front and rear porterbuilt suspension? do yu know this? that is the look i am looking for secondly on the picture i saw a transmission cross member is that in the kit? i don t find the coilover systems on the porterbuild site?

thanks a lot

Greetings from Germany

Andy
3li9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
slowcpe

You can run the shockwaves with PB stuff. I looked at that as an option for mine.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3li9 View Post
hi
is there someone who is running the porterbuiltb coilover system with the ridetech shockwaves?
possible is it or not?

@Pro Performance does the blazer from your link from the front dropmember runs front and rear porterbuilt suspension? do yu know this? that is the look i am looking for secondly on the picture i saw a transmission cross member is that in the kit? i don t find the coilover systems on the porterbuild site?

thanks a lot
Good questions to ask. I was just going to ask those ?'s today, but you beat me to it.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #9
Pro Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
I've been talking to another board member about the same set up he has, just from a different company, and he stated that switching from drums to disc narrows the track width by 3 inches.

How much does your set up narrow the front?
And if it does, is there a way to push the wheels further out towards the outside of the fender without using spacers?

That's what I've been told on another members thread. He just bought a coil over front set up from Scott's Hot Rods and mentioned the cross member as well. I may just have to research a few other companies that offer the cross member as well. I'd like my truck to pull the front tires off the ground quite a bit, so I'd defiantly need all the added clearance I can get up front.

Do you have any pics of the front and back of your truck with the conversion?
The Porterbuilt cross members narrow track width, and depends on which version you go with, as to how much. The Mild and Touring narrow track width by about .25" per side, where the Extreme narrows the track width 1.5" per side. The CPP modular spindle will narrow track width as well vs. a stock style drop spindle (caliper ears), and I believe this is .5" per side, but yet to be confirmed personally.

You can run longer than stock control arms, built by Porterbuilt, to offset this narrowed track width on the extreme.

Quote:
hi
possible is it or not?

thanks a lot
The mild is raised 1" over stock, the touring 2" over stock, and the extreme 3" over stock. The mild and touring do not require rack and pinion notches in the frame, but the extreme does. The particular version you decide to go with, is all dependent on how low you want the truck to sit.

The blue blazer we have pictured on our site in using a Porterbuilt extreme front drop member with a custom rear system. A comparable system to match the extreme front, would be the extreme rear coilover version.... which would yield similar results as the blazer you see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
You can run the shockwaves with PB stuff. I looked at that as an option for mine.
They no longer build the C4 version, which is probably what most common for guys running the shockwaves. You might be able to run Shockwaves on the traditional coil over version, but I would have to check to confirm. If looking to run Shockwaves with the Porterbuilt setup, I would recommend just using the air bag version they offer.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
low&slow
Account Suspended

Okay so with all those options of narrowing the track width, is there an option for widening the track width? Or would that have to be a custom order?
Old 12-14-2013, 04:37 AM   #11
fastbagged68

Quote:

@Pro Performance does the blazer from your link from the front dropmember runs front and rear porterbuilt suspension? do yu know this?
thanks a lot
The blue blazer was built by Hill's Rod and Custom, I helped build it. It is running a Porterbuilt dropmember. It is the first Coilover kit he built. We changed a few things to make it work for the application. The rear is a Hill's 4 link kit. It is a weld on kit. The blazer sit 3.5" off the ground with 255/35/20 and 275/35/20
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #12
3li9

Thx for the replies ...
It is net easy i tought the mild one had a bigger c notch...
I don t want it to lay on the ground... it should look like the blazer or the red white truck using the 24 wheels... i will go with the 20 intros 8.5 in front and 12 in the rear...
The extreme kit is a got way to go because you don t have to complete air it out... but i don t want to raise the bed as much as that...
How is it with th pb kit to lower the body can i use that with a complete kit like the mild or touring kit?

Greetings from Germany

Andy
Old 12-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
3li9

hmm does i understand this right>>> pb will not build the coilover version anymore? or what did xou mena with c4?

does there exist pics of the rear coilover kit in mild or extreme version with coilovers and trailing arms?

thanks

Greetings from Germany

Andy

Last edited by 3li9; 12-14-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
slowcpe

Pretty sure they still build the coilover kit. I was talking to them last month about it as an option. I decided to go air since I know I won't be happy until I do.

Since I got this new truck plans have changed a bit but I'm looking to go in stages. Going to start off with their stage 1 front and stage 2 basic rear. Goal is for a mild DM and arms up front and stage 2 deluxe in the rear. I don't want to raise my bed floor at all, especially now I have a stepside.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
Pro Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
Okay so with all those options of narrowing the track width, is there an option for widening the track width? Or would that have to be a custom order?
The narrowed track width is built into the dropmember, but you could order up to 1" longer controls arms to offset that, if you would like. I do suggest not trying to offset the narrowed track width on the extreme version, so that you still have a room to turn at a very low ride height. Especially being it is non-adjustable (like air suspension would be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbagged68 View Post
The blue blazer was built by Hill's Rod and Custom, I helped build it. It is running a Porterbuilt dropmember. It is the first Coilover kit he built. We changed a few things to make it work for the application. The rear is a Hill's 4 link kit. It is a weld on kit. The blazer sit 3.5" off the ground with 255/35/20 and 275/35/20
Very nice blazer, and one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing a little more info on the build.

Quote:
hmm does i understand this right>>> pb will not build the coilover version anymore? or what did xou mena with c4?

does there exist pics of the rear coilover kit in mild or extreme version with coilovers and trailing arms?

thanks
They do make the coil over version, they just don't make a "C4" dropmember that uses C4 suspension (control arms & spindles).

This board member is using a PB touring front / mild rear with coil overs. Very nice build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...urg%27s&page=3
Old 12-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
3li9

Nice... thx for the link... looks awesome...does it exists with the trailing arms or only with 4link? this kit with shockwaves that would be my choice

Greetings from Germany

Andy

Last edited by 3li9; 12-15-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: forgot something;)