The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
earl84

454/TH400 install questions

I have done some research on here about the engine perches, and I think what I have figured out is that the current perches I have in my 66 C20 that held a SBC 350 will work for the 454, but will have to be moved to the forward set of holes. Is this correct?
Also, I pulled out the engine and SM420 yesterday, and from what I understand, the SM420 trans crossmember will have to be removed and a different crossmember installed further back. Is this correct?
I will figure out the placement of the crossmember when I have taken delivery of the engine and transmission. Can my SM420 crossmember be modified to work easily or is it just too much hassle? I am currently without a welder, but looking to purchase one before too long.
One last question on tips of how to remove the SM420 crossmember. It looks like I can get to the lower rivets easily enough, but the uppers may be an issue. The cab is still on the truck. Planning on a grinder and serious hammer blows to get the rivets out, and drilling if necessary. Any hints?
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote