The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4

Vintage Air Gen IV system going in

While my A/C guy is slow I decided to bite the bullet and have him install a new Vintage Air Gen IV system in the burb.

http://www.vintageair.com/2012catalo...Page%2035).pdf

He should have it completed by the end of the week but I stopped by the shop at lunch took a few preview pictures to share. I'll take some more once it's all done and give you my .02 on the performance.

Brian
Attached Images

BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Vintage Air Gen IV system going in

-
I have the same setup but I don't have it installed yet. I need to get my butt in gear...

I like that '40 Ford.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #3
BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4

So the system is in and functional. Overall, fairly impressed with the performance. Controls have a slightly "cheap" feel to them but the transitions are smooth for the fan, heat, and vent controls. I enjoy the extra room in the engine compartment but had to kiss my glove box goodbye. The compressor is a little intrusive being mounted on top of the motor, will need to work on neatening up the hose/wire routing once the weather warms up. Because this was a non-AC dash holes were cut to accommodate the vents which turned out okay. It's been cold here (snowed today) so have not run the AC beyond checking that it was functional. The heater blows warm but it's like trying to heat my living room with a match.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
vectorit
What?

I am very curious as to how well this AC cools your burb during the heat of the summer.

I'd love to have an AC upgrade, but have always feared that it wouldn't cool the whole interior during high heat weather.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4

Yes, time will tell how well it cools the glass house. I'm sure I will need to invest in insulation of sorts (dynamat or equivalent) and new rubber door seals, possible window tinting, to maximize the cooling effect.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
Burbaholic

I have the Gen IV setup in combination with the factory rear unit in my '72. I don't think the Gen IV by itself would have much of a chance to keep up alone. My set-up struggles as is. I still need to tint the windows to aid in cooling. These things are like a green house in the sun.
383/700R4

"THE BLUE BURB OF HAPPINESS"
Burbaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
FLYNAVY30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbaholic View Post
I have the Gen IV setup in combination with the factory rear unit in my '72. I don't think the Gen IV by itself would have much of a chance to keep up alone. My set-up struggles as is. I still need to tint the windows to aid in cooling. These things are like a green house in the sun.
Out of curiosity, how did you hook up the factory rear unit with the vintage air unit?
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #8
magicoolbus

I have a first gen sure fit cable operated VA unit in my burb. It was a bit lacking on the hot AZ summer days. I decided to begin sourcing a rear set up and have nearly completed installing it. I used a rear unit out of a late 70's early 80's burb and fabbed up the rest. Lots of research on this site and others filled in most of my questions. Here's a couple of pictures that I have posted before in case you missed them.
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:57 AM   #9
FLYNAVY30

Ahh, thanks for the pics. My '72 actually has the factory rear A/C in it. The reason I ask, is I'm almost finished swapping an LS6 with Vintage Air IV in the front, and wanted to come up with a way to incorporate the factory rear A/C into the system since Im concerned about the Vintage Air unit cooling the entire truck.

(actually, who am I kidding, I never use the A/C in any of my cars unless the wife is with me, but I figure since I went to the extent and expense of instilling the VA system, I might as well get as effective a system as possible while Im at it.)
Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
blfuller123

I just got the vintage air installed in mine and really want to add rear air, but finding a factory one seems impossible. I was looking at maybe adding something like this http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...it-p-4509.html but I don't know exactly how I would make a housing to cover it. Has anyone done something like this?
blfuller123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #11
jeffg1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by blfuller123 View Post
I just got the vintage air installed in mine and really want to add rear air, but finding a factory one seems impossible. I was looking at maybe adding something like this http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...it-p-4509.html but I don't know exactly how I would make a housing to cover it. Has anyone done something like this?
After two summers of trying to convince myself that my new vintage air could cool the whole burb, I added a vintage air underdash unit to the rear of mine. Up in the headliner like the factory ones. I have a thread here somewhere. If I get time later, I'll look it up.
1986 C30 Crewcab - 63K original miles, original paint

Members I have met: mikey531, gcburdic, bashed, burbman69, TonyPieras, Blazester, GCncsuHD, custombuilt67-72, tsnow678, highrpm, PanelDeland, tanman722001, 47thriftmaster, babyblueoval, 68stepbed, JesseWebb, Andy4639, xs-style, TobyArnot, BigOrange, frednoah, brn_agn, k5hart, Graham57a, bhelton, AJohn6, SilverC10, 69CST, '71 Flame, RaceAGMC, Liz, Josh, MattPSU, 68corvair, Chevy350V8, mdeal, ccrorymc, mrhurt73, dmxxpert, Custom68, 84GMC, BionicABs1, BigBlockBurris, Ebfabman, ATP...
jeffg1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:05 AM   #12
FLYNAVY30

so which two lines to you have to add the "T" fitting to in order to run the lines to the rear unit?
Old 05-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #13
blfuller123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffg1010 View Post
After two summers of trying to convince myself that my new vintage air could cool the whole burb, I added a vintage air underdash unit to the rear of mine. Up in the headliner like the factory ones. I have a thread here somewhere. If I get time later, I'll look it up.
I found a rear ac factory cover and its in route to the house now. Im hoping I can fit that old air unit under it, if not I will use it as a template to what the cover should look like. Either way, I think I am going to add the old air unit. I thought about using one of the vintage air units and putting it under the back seat but I cant figure out a good way to run the vents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
so which two lines to you have to add the "T" fitting to in order to run the lines to the rear unit?
I believe its the two ac hoses, (the low and high lines)
blfuller123 is offline   Reply With Quote