The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
j_cst_10

Front/rear suspension recipes 59"Apache 3100

Hey guys, I posted a while back ago after buying my 59 apache (seen below). I am getting ready to pull the front clip off and start with the steering/suspension.

Any proven recipes for converting to more of a modern set up? My plan is to lower the truck with suspension (no air bags). I would like to avoid welding in a front subframe from another vehicle.

I am sure this has been gone over but can't find a whole lot in searching the forum.

Wish lists would be rack and pinion steering, front discs, and IFS. I am more of a budget builder, I like to put stuff together, weld, scream and throw wrenches. I am just finishing up a diesel conversion in my 1970 C10 so I want to start getting the parts pile together.

j_cst_10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Front/rear suspension recipes 59"Apache 3100

fatman ifs and 3rd gen trans am rearend flipped on top of stock springs in my truck
25,000 miles on it as is

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
j_cst_10

Thanks, I'll look into that set up.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
j_cst_10

Ogre: I found your build thread, you have done a TON of work to that thing. Your interior work is excellent. This is my first old body truck and I think I am going to keep the build simple. The main goal is to get the front end modernized and go from there. As of now, the truck is 100% original down to the mice peed all over seat (minus the wheels of course).

Are there any other options besides the fatman set up?

Last edited by j_cst_10; 01-08-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cst_10
which kit did you use? I was looking at the stage 2 that uses conventional spring/shock suspension. They also said that there was optional 2" drop spindles at no extra charge.
i used the same iicr, with conventional shocks, springs and standard spindles, it is plenty low for michigan roads
not sure if it would be streetable with drop spindles (though someone will chime in to say i'm wrong )

lots of options over fatman, even ebay has mustII packages for sale
fatman has great tech support if you do need it

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
mr48chev

Look over this build thread by one of members on here. Jag XJ series front suspension that unbolts as a complete unit from the donor rig and the
A arms pretty well clear your inner fenders so you don't have hacked up sheet metal on your truck.

The cost is usually fairly reasonable in major metro areas. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=628283

I think there is another build thread on here where the guy did one as a bolt on on a TF truck using the stock Jag mount pads and fabbing brackets on the frame.

Another option is the Crossember from www.industrialchassis.com for a TF truck that runs Dodge Dakota suspension pieces. Not that spendy in the long run and you end up with mid size pickup suspension pieces and could use a Mopar or Ford rear for the 5 on 4-1/2 bolt pattern. I know it sounds like I am doing advertising for Steve lately but he builds a great product for a competitive price.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
yossarian19

If you don't mind running black steel wheels, I would look at the Crown Vic front suspension. It's got the same axle weight rating as the factory front end (so you can still use your truck as a truck), 12.4" front rotors, twin-pot calipers and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than most other IFS options. R&P steering, too. When I do my revision of the truck a few years down the road, this is the plan. The only hitch is that the track width is slightly wider than stock - using 6" back space wheels. Not too many options beyond the factory 16" steel.
Another "truck" option is to modify the frame so it will take a C10 cross member. The Hollister Road Company has a great web page detailing this swap. It's more involved than I want to try but the C10 suspension has more goodies available, you can tailor it for more widths and more heights, etc.
MII kits vary in quality, price and design. I know very little about them except that I wanted to keep my weight rating up and I don't think the MII is a great choice for me.
Camaro, Chrysler, etc frame clips are also possible.

Rear end...
If you don't mind 3.90 or 4.10 gears, the factory rear end is a good one.
If you want 3.73 gears, disc brakes & the 5x5 pattern, a 99-04 Grand Cherokee (with V8, not I6) has a Dana 44 variant that is for you. Some even came with a pretty stout LSD.
Late 60s C10 came with a 12 bolt that is about the right width. 6 lug IIRC.
Some varieties of 14 bolt are about 63" wide, crazy strong, default 8 lug (though you can buy 6 lug hubs in the aftermarket)
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #8
Roadkill58

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i used the same iicr, with conventional shocks, springs and standard spindles, it is plenty low for michigan roads
not sure if it would be streetable with drop spindles (though someone will chime in to say i'm wrong )

lots of options over fatman, even ebay has mustII packages for sale
fatman has great tech support if you do need it

I won't say your wrong I haven't driven mine yet.

I vote for new IFS instead of used whatever. Just make sure you mock everything up before you weld it solid.

Roadkill's 69 Custom C20
Roadkill58 is offline   Reply With Quote