The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
keystoneGerm

Need a little with my suspension setup

I have the following:
15x9 wheels with -34mm offset with 275/60/15 on all four corners
Rear flip DJN kit with shock extenders
Front 3"drop spindles from eBay (no before and after measurements)

When I put the truck together, I had slight cutting of the tread all full lock in reverse over bumps. I ordered a new set of Moog 1 ton springs and followed the advice on the forum to cut one coil one the new ones. I massaged the fenders to eliminate the rubbing. When I put it on the ground, the truck sits higher than stock.

I can say that when I had the springs side by side, the cut coil was about 1/2" shorter, so I was sceptical about the drop, but I didn't feel like doing the trig to figure out what it would be so I put them in anyway. I figured it would be better to do it more than once than to trash my new springs.

Before anyone judges cut springs, on previous trucks I have had issues with drop springs not being accurate anyway. I figured going this route I can fine tune my setup.

My end goal is to match the front to the back if I can. I understand that my front tires a wider than normal, and I am prepared to get 245/60 today if I do drop it and I still have issues rubbing.

I am also contemplating using a lifting to shackle in the back to get the back up a little to correct the rake and leave the front alone.

So my final thought is, it I cut a half coil more, what do you guys do about not having the spring line up in the pocket in the control arm? The top of the spring looks like it wouldn't be happy if it's not clocked correctly.

[IMG][IMG]

Last edited by keystoneGerm; 03-03-2017 at 10:08 AM.
keystoneGerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
SkinnyG

Re: Need a little with my suspension setup

I kept cutting 2" off the coil spring pig tail until it sat the way I wanted it.

I think it was close to a coil and a half, maybe a coil and three quarters. It rides a LOT better with the one-ton coils because the spring rate is a lot stiffer and it bottoms less.

Since the half-ton and one-ton coil springs are different rates, the ride heights will be different, and one coil cut off is NOT the same drop.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
keystoneGerm

So when you placed the spring in which did you clock in correctly, the top or bottom? Any noises ?
Old 03-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystoneGerm View Post
So when you placed the spring in which did you clock in correctly, the top or bottom? Any noises ?
The top of the spring is shaped to keep it somewhat in place & from rotating. For the bottom, the a-arm pocket has the divot that helps locate the end of the coil. Both ends are not a tight tolerance fit. It's usually better to trim from the bottom. If one is worried about the coil rotating, a small puddle of weld or a bolt head poking through where the end of the spring sits in the a-arm pocket will work.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
keystoneGerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
The top of the spring is shaped to keep it somewhat in place & from rotating. For the bottom, the a-arm pocket has the divot that helps locate the end of the coil. Both ends are not a tight tolerance fit. It's usually better to trim from the bottom. If one is worried about the coil rotating, a small puddle of weld or a bolt head poking through where the end of the spring sits in the a-arm pocket will work.
Cool, this is what I wanted to do, just wanted someone that has done it before chime in before I did something that was irreversible.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #6
SkinnyG

I have the tops clocked, and the bottoms fall where the bottoms fall.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #7
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyg View Post
i have the tops clocked, and the bottoms fall where the bottoms fall.
x2

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
Rockbottom78

If a guy had the right tools and know how. He could cut the lower control arm mounting pocket and rotate the pocket to wherever the spring ended and weld it back in. If you wanted to be correctly mounted at whatever height you need.
Posted via Mobile Device
Rockbottom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
keystoneGerm

That's alot more work than I would like to do. I was at a coil and a half. Still didn't sit where I wanted. I wanted to take another 1/4 coil off. I didn't like how the spring would be sitting on just a little bit of the control arm just before the divot for the spring pocket. I figured well f' it and I'll go 2 coils. So it would sit properly. Well let me tell you, 2 coils cut and 3" drop spindles may be drivable for some, but not for me with such a large tire and heavy offset wheel. The control arm was about 3" off the ground.

OK, so new plan is wait for another set of 1 ton springs, cut 1.5 coils again and I am installing a 1.75" lifting shackle in the back. Should make the rake right. Price of doing custom stuff I guess. Only wasted $84.

If anyone want these springs, hit me up. These will work well without drop spindles.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:44 PM   #10
Rockbottom78

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystoneGerm View Post
That's alot more work than I would like to do. I was at a coil and a half. Still didn't sit where I wanted. I wanted to take another 1/4 coil off. I didn't like how the spring would be sitting on just a little bit of the control arm just before the divot for the spring pocket. I figured well f' it and I'll go 2 coils. So it would sit properly. Well let me tell you, 2 coils cut and 3" drop spindles may be drivable for some, but not for me with such a large tire and heavy offset wheel. The control arm was about 3" off the ground.

OK, so new plan is wait for another set of 1 ton springs, cut 1.5 coils again and I am installing a 1.75" lifting shackle in the back. Should make the rake right. Price of doing custom stuff I guess. Only wasted $84.

If anyone want these springs, hit me up. These will work well without drop spindles.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad you figured it out! Finish the post with an after picture?
Rockbottom78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #11
SkinnyG

Don't worry about the coil not sitting in the right spot on the a-arm, it's totally fine, I kid you not. And I am very fussy about stuff like this.

I didn't believe others when they told me that it wasn't a problem, and then eventually trimmed my coils such that the bottoms are no longer in the right place, and it's just fine. It really is just fine.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #12
SkinnyG

I have more of a coil spring fitment issue because I had moved the lower control arms forward 3/4".

Last edited by SkinnyG; 03-04-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #13
keystoneGerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbottom78 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad you figured it out! Finish the post with an after picture?
This is after 2 coils cut. Barely got the jack out the front. Tore the **** outta the front lip.

Currently on stock half ton springs, of course I cut these not thinking prior to reinstalling them. I realized halfway through the first coil that I need to drive the truck until the the others come in the mail. I have one coil cut. Sits darn near perfect, and if I were to run a 245, I think theses would do fine. I really do not want to run staggered tires because I want the ability to rotate my tires. So this it what it looks like now.

Rubs over bumps pretty bad, after an alignment, I don't think it would be drivable with the correct camber. Should have left well enough alone and waited. Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking.

On a more positive note, I got the truck running really well. When I put the engine in a few weeks ago I didn't set my base timing correctly. I adjusted that 2 days ago, jetted the carb and now I finally can spin the 275 tires with 2.73 gears.

More pics to follow. Once I get my Yota back on the road the trans will be coming out of this for a upgraded rebuild, shift kit, and a 2200 stall converter
Old 03-04-2017, 11:58 PM   #14
keystoneGerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyG View Post
Don't worry about the coil not sitting in the right spot on the a-arm, it's totally fine, I kid you not. And I am very fussy about stuff like this.

I didn't believe others when they told me that it wasn't a problem, and then eventually trimmed my coils such that the bottoms are no longer in the right place, and it's just fine. It really is just fine.
At a coil and a half, I had no rubbing. That's where I am going when I get the new ones. What I did to keep me happy with the spring seating in the pocket was cut the spring flat with a 4.5" cut off wheel. It rode great and not a noise and spread out the stress on the pigtail.

And thanks for all the help. I am deploying soon and need to get all the mechanical stuff done on this so the wife can use it while I am gone for furniture and junk. It means alot to me to be part of such a great bunch of fellas.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #15
SkinnyG

I REALLY like that first pic height, but I recognize it's pretty low.

The1-ton springs will let you sit at a good height, and not run. A coil cut from my half-ton springs had the tires still hitting the underside of the fenders.

My last truck was a Nissan Hardbody that I had lowered. I thought I had a braking issue - it had the horrible scrapping sound only under heavy braking. Turned out the plastic engine tray was dragging when you got on the brakes hard.

If you're not scrapping the ground once in a while, you're not low enough! (grin).

Looks good.