The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
georgieboy

Angry Freeze plugs on rear of 292

Today I was replacing the freeze plugs on my 292. 2 freeze plugs are located on rear of eng. behind the flywheel. I proceeded to remove them and one covered the rear of the cam and was almost impossible to get out. I left some punch marks on what ever is in there. Have I done great damage to my engine?
georgieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
johnwaynejeep

Re: Freeze plugs on rear of 292

Freeze plugs cover up water jackets which is why they call them freeze plugs. Really those are "Core Plugs" used to dump sand out of the engine block after casting the block.

The reason I mention this is that freeze plugs tap into water jackets and there is little you can damage as long as you're not drilling through the plug and accidentally drill through the block, which has happened.

On the other hand, permanently installed plugs can also cover machining access holes and if those components are damaged could be very bad.

Post a picture and we can tell you if the plug you're talking about is a typical freeze plug or a machining plug.
Smittybilt front/rear bumper, 10K winch
Pacific Grove, CA
johnwaynejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:19 PM   #3
georgieboy

I don't know how to post photos yet.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:27 AM   #4
johnwaynejeep

You'll need to upload the photo to a web site that will host the photo, like photobucket. When you reply to this post, click on the icon at the top of the text screen that looks like a mountain with a moon rising over it. Enter the web link into the pop up that opens and it will post the picture in your reply.

Kind of a pain in the neck, I thought it would be easier then that.

Sorry man
Pacific Grove, CA
Old 10-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
georgieboy

Well, I googled it as I should have first and yes, it is a machine plug. Thinking it was to a water jacket, I had a hard time getting it out( should have googled first). With this new information, I looked again and believe I have damaged the rear cam bearing and possibly the rear of the cam. Ignorance plus too much exuburance gets expensive. I got pretty rough getting it out.now I have to learn to post photos or just replace the cam and bearings.Thanks for the info. Dumb ass George
Old 10-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
johnwaynejeep

It would be a good opportunity to do an engine rebuild. It'll cost about $1000 in machining and an overhaul kit. Aside from that you can do everything yourself with hand tools a balancer puller and a piston ring compressor.

Good luck
Robert
Pacific Grove, CA
Old 10-03-2017, 12:12 AM   #7
georgieboy

Thanks to you for helping me figure it out. A friend came by and got the cam out. I need new cam,cam bearings, timing gears,lifters, plug seals. Already had gasket set. 12 bolt had everything I needed. By the way if you're interested, Tom Langdon of Stovebolt Motor Co. has stopped dealing with later sixes such as 194, 230, 250, &292. I guess he's slowing down or something. Hate to see him go. He ran a good business. Thanks again