The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2022, 09:54 AM   #1
MARKDTN

What do do with this square body?

About 2 years ago my uncle died and left me this '74 C10 LWB truck. I finally got around to getting it from the farm last weekend since it was near the Nashville AACA swap meet. Its pretty plain with 350/TH350, gauges, and power steering. It's been sitting in a shed since at least 2008. Decent shape-both cab corners have rust, some rust and bondo in the front fenders, tailgate is rough. But underneath is pretty nice. The mice have been pretty rough on it. I am going to get it cleaned up and running but don't know what to do after that. My next project is going to be a '69-70. I have personal history with this truck as I bought it for him from the A/C guy in 1988. Patina shop trucks are hot now. I can't keep it forever. My initial thought is fuel injection conversion and power brakes, but this is really a pretty unmolested truck. 1974 is last year for points and no cat. Part of me wants to get it reliable and finish RT66 that I started last year. I need to go Joplin to Chicago so that is doable. But I wanted to do that in a '69-70. So what would you do with this truck? I already have a square body (bought from another uncle) but I want earlier.
Attached Images

'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:14 AM   #2
old51sedan

Re: What do do with this square body?

Nice truck to play with, looks like it needs to be power washed in side and out. I ordered a new one in 76 in the light blue, four wheeler short box with options like tilt, cruise, dual exhaust, etc. Sold that in 86 to a younger guy I worked with, he restored it and I'm told he still has it, I need to look him up. I'm currently doing a 69, mainly because I bought one new back then. They can be a lot of fun and a big money pit also. If that was mine I would probably make a short box out of it, just my thoughts.
old51sedan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:17 AM   #3
dagnabbitt

That’s my favorite two-tone paint on a square.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:50 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ok I will bite... what do you want for it?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:11 PM   #5
ltdmstr

First, I'd keep it as a long bed. Beyond that, I'd keep the body and interior stock, add a 2/4 or 3/5 drop suspension (spindles, springs, etc.), then add power brakes, power steering and rebuild the stock drivetrain. Basically, a long bed version of the SBS truck shown here.
ltdmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:22 PM   #6
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
ok I will bite... what do you want for it?
I'd get in trouble answering that here. I don't want to sell it just yet even so. I want to get it going again and drive it a bit. The question in my mind is leave it bone stock OR upgrade small things like power brakes and HEI OR do an EFI conversion and add A/C and whatever. I think I should leave it alone. I am not a SWB conversion or lowered or blinged out kind of guy. No offense to those that are, just not my thing. Kind of my question in my mind is do I put my 69/70 project that I want on hold and really focus on this to finish RT66 OR just do the minimum and drive local and get going on my next one? Wife will not be happy with that much spare iron around if I go that way.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
Old 02-08-2022, 02:12 PM   #7
ltdmstr

I have a '68 that was bare bones, manual brakes, manual steering, etc. I added power steering and power brakes with hydroboost, and it's so much more enjoyable to drive. Stuff like that, HEI, etc. you can always reverse if you want to go back to bone stock.
ltdmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 03:45 PM   #8
dagnabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I'd get in trouble answering that here. I don't want to sell it just yet even so. I want to get it going again and drive it a bit. The question in my mind is leave it bone stock OR upgrade small things like power brakes and HEI OR do an EFI conversion and add A/C and whatever. I think I should leave it alone. I am not a SWB conversion or lowered or blinged out kind of guy. No offense to those that are, just not my thing. Kind of my question in my mind is do I put my 69/70 project that I want on hold and really focus on this to finish RT66 OR just do the minimum and drive local and get going on my next one? Wife will not be happy with that much spare iron around if I go that way.
If it were mine and I had it in the back of mind to sell it... I would put new points in it, fully restore the interior, and have someone do a really good job of repairing/replacing the cab corners without disturbing the paint too much. Add a rear sport bumper and maybe update the mirrors.

CLR and a wax and you have a driving project that virtually anyone would want.
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:10 PM   #9
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
If it were mine and I had it in the back of mind to sell it... I would put new points in it, fully restore the interior, and have someone do a really good job of repairing/replacing the cab corners without disturbing the paint too much. Add a rear sport bumper and maybe update the mirrors.

CLR and a wax and you have a driving project that virtually anyone would want.
My thought today is new tires, pressure wash, new rubber floor mat, recover the seat, and a tuneup. It will likely need a new fuel pump and tank (and lines?) I am thinking from sitting that long. Stored relatively dry and probably non-ethanol fuel in 2007ish but still. Probably need belts and hoses. Transmission was rebuilt in the late 90s so not a lot of miles, but who knows if it is still good-probably in my experience-but not for sure. I have not even tried the engine to see if it turns over but I think it will.

I just spent over $1000-plus a battery-in the last paragraph and who knows about the carburetor or radiator or heater core or brakes or... ?? I didn't replace the bumper or fix the cab corners or mirrors. With that much mouse fluff there is sure to be wiring damage. And on it goes. Where is the point of no returns? I'm definitely not scrapping it, but I am torn on how far to take it knowing I can't keep it forever. I can't do anything to it for about a month anyway. Appreciate the comments so far.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project