The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #1
67 twins

Precision brand fuel tank from O'Reillys

I just picked up a Precision brand fuel tank from my local O'Reillys store. Only took two days for them to get it. Made in Canada not the Taiwan tank that you might receive from an online vendor & you don't have to pay shipping shipping and oversize fees to get it.
I'll update once I install the tank to let everyone know how it fits.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:25 PM   #2
raggedjim

Re: Precision brand fuel tank from O'Reillys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
I just picked up a Precision brand fuel tank from my local O'Reillys store. Only took two days for them to get it. Made in Canada not the Taiwan tank that you might receive from an online vendor & you don't have to pay shipping shipping and oversize fees to get it.
I'll update once I install the tank to let everyone know how it fits.
Is it in cab or under bed?

Thanks, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:46 PM   #3
Love 70 Chevys

I am very interested to know your "happiness" with it also. I have kept every single part I have taken out of my truck with the exception of the gas tank. (In cab.) The tank is the only thing I have disposed of and I have been kicking myself for doing so after I read so many nightmare stories about the filler neck not fitting (and cracking after tweaking) in the repros. My tank was likely 100% good, it just had 15 years of gas goo in the bottom that probably could have been dealt with. Oh well, live and learn! Good luck with the install.
Love 70 Chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 02:09 PM   #4
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Is it in cab or under bed?

Thanks, Rg
In cab
Chris
Old 02-25-2022, 02:31 PM   #5
67 twins

The tank installation went great. Slipped right into the grommet , all the bolt holes lined up & I have no issues with the neck alignment.
Attached Images

Chris
Old 02-23-2022, 01:21 PM   #6
cericd

I have one of those Precision tanks in my truck right now. I'm 99.9 percent sure it is made by Spectre (Canadian brand) and rebranded Precision for O'Reilly's. I went through replacing my in-cab fuel tank last year and documented the ordeal in this thread https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=821499. There are lots of pics in that thread that show the incorrect neck alignment.

The final result was a tank that seems almost as sturdy as the original with a neck that works but is not perfectly aligned with the cab. The original tank was perfectly aligned. Issues I ran across with the Precision/Spectre tanks, out of four tanks, none of them had a properly aligned neck. I think this is probably due to how they package their tanks for shipment. Their boxes allow the neck to stick out unprotected. This allows it to be easily knocked around. A lot of guys say they have massaged the misaligned neck to straighten it out. We tried that and it ended up with a leak at the point where the neck connects to the tank.

If I hadn't been in the middle of planning a move across the country I would have cleaned out my original and run it for a while to see how it held up. I still wish I had gone that route.

I've added a couple pics for those that don't fell lik clicking the link to my other thread.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 05:05 PM   #7
cericd

Dang, that looks good. Wish mine would have gone that smoothly. Maybe I’ll try again. The Spectra/Precision tanks seem to be great quality replacement tanks. I just couldn’t get one out of four to have a properly angled neck. Maybe the fifth one would’ve been the charm. Lol. Congrats on a smooth install.

Question: Was the neck poking out of the box when you got yours? All four that I got had the neck sticking out. You could tell the flaps of the box were designed to be that way. It wasn’t a case of the tank shifting around during transit and causing the neck to burst out of the corner of the box.

Old 02-25-2022, 05:39 PM   #8
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cericd View Post
Dang, that looks good. Wish mine would have gone that smoothly. Maybe I’ll try again. The Spectra/Precision tanks seem to be great quality replacement tanks. I just couldn’t get one out of four to have a properly angled neck. Maybe the fifth one would’ve been the charm. Lol. Congrats on a smooth install.

Question: Was the neck poking out of the box when you got yours? All four that I got had the neck sticking out. You could tell the flaps of the box were designed to be that way. It wasn’t a case of the tank shifting around during transit and causing the neck to burst out of the corner of the box.
that seems odd they'd package up anything with the neck sticking out?i realize you're talking about gas tanks but i just got last week,a new copper&brass rad core from Spectra Premium,made in Quebec and ordered in at the rad shop i buy cores from.the box was heavy-duty cardboard and has almost a box inside the box to protect the core.i think they could've packed eggs in there and they would have made it to here?that's disappointing to hear about parts packed poorly?no wonder they arrive damaged?
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #9
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
that seems odd they'd package up anything with the neck sticking out?i realize you're talking about gas tanks but i just got last week,a new copper&brass rad core from Spectra Premium,made in Quebec and ordered in at the rad shop i buy cores from.the box was heavy-duty cardboard and has almost a box inside the box to protect the core.i think they could've packed eggs in there and they would have made it to here?that's disappointing to hear about parts packed poorly?no wonder they arrive damaged?
I know what you mean. I purchased 4 Precision/Spectra tanks and all four came in the exact same style box. I was single layer cardboard, fit the tank well and had the flaps cut in a way to allow the neck to protrude from the box. The neck would not fit inside the box since it was the exact size to fit the tank. The box on one of the tanks was all torn up and falling apart when it showed up at O'Reilly's. Surprisingly that tank had the straightest neck. Clearly they make a good product but I couldn't get one with a straight neck and I didn't have time to order a fifth tank and get it installed before my move.

I also purchased a Counterparts (made in Taiwan or China) form our local 67-72 Chevy truck specialty shop and it was listed as fitting 67-72 trucks (should've known there'd be problems with that). The tank was flimsy, could push the wall of the tank in about half to three quarter of an inch and the neck was skinny (for a 71-72 truck). However, it was packaged great with styrofoam in the box to prevent movement and the neck was inside in the box. Also, the neck was at the correct angle.

I posted a pic of the Spectra tank on my Instagram and Spectra responded that they would like to talk with me but when I called them the operator redirected to a voicemail box. I left a message but didn't hear back from them. Pretty frustrating.

Old 02-25-2022, 11:58 PM   #10
67 twins

Quote:

Yes, your description is exactly how it was packaged. I guess I just got lucky for once.
Chris
Old 02-25-2022, 07:02 PM   #11
jimijam00

I put that tank in mine also.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:31 PM   #12
body bolt

My tank had a bent neck that I was able to re-align using a floorjack handle.
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:43 PM   #13
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by body bolt View Post
My tank had a bent neck that I was able to re-align using a floorjack handle.
We tried that on the first Spectra tank but ended up with a crack, that leaked, where the neck met the tank.

Old 02-25-2022, 08:24 PM   #14
MDFarms

I have a nice original out of truck that was from AZ if interested? $85.00 plus shipping
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:26 AM   #15
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

After reading a few of these replacement tank threads, I am happy I decided to have my '72 tank taken to a radiator shop that cleaned it out and sealed it. I am pretty sure it cost about as much as a replacement to have that done (if you factor my brother's time, then more toting it back and forth). I am pretty sure I'll never have to worry about my tank (and man it was a mess inside too).

It seems very surprising that any manufacturer would ship a bit of their product outside of a box - especially something like a neck on a fuel tank. It's like someone asked themselves, how can we get these rejected and sent back to us?

Makes me wonder if O'Riley's would get them bulk and then ship them individually to their stores from their warehouse?

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 02:54 PM   #16
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post

Makes me wonder if O'Riley's would get them bulk and then ship them individually to their stores from their warehouse?
Well the pick ticket on the box shows it came from a warehouse in Springfield Missouri for what it's worth.
Chris
Old 02-26-2022, 06:26 PM   #17
Love 70 Chevys

Thanks for the update 67 Twins. Based on your experience, I'm going to pick one up. If the neck looks like it will need too much tweakage, I'll just take it back. Nothing lost but some time and no need to deal with shipping hassles. P/N FT5197 (without evaporative emissions control) due to 1970 model. Is that what you installed? $219 and there is a 10% off coupon deal right now.

Last edited by Love 70 Chevys; 02-26-2022 at 06:28 PM. Reason: typo
Love 70 Chevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:37 PM   #18
body bolt

Quote:
After reading a few of these replacement tank threads, I am happy I decided to have my '72 tank taken to a radiator shop that cleaned it out and sealed it.
I would have done that if such a place still existed. Same with my radiator.
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 12:27 AM   #19
mr.mud1

Quote:
After reading a few of these replacement tank threads, I am happy I decided to have my '72 tank taken to a radiator shop that cleaned it out and sealed it. I am pretty sure it cost about as much as a replacement to have that done (if you factor my brother's time, then more toting it back and forth). I am pretty sure I'll never have to worry about my tank (and man it was a mess inside too).

It seems very surprising that any manufacturer would ship a bit of their product outside of a box - especially something like a neck on a fuel tank. It's like someone asked themselves, how can we get these rejected and sent back to us?

you might be on to something here?again i realize you're talking about gas tanks but here's a picture of my new rad core that just arrived from Spectra-Premium and the box it was shipped in.it does seem odd that a company that goes to the effort to package up rads like this,would ship gas tanks with the necks sticking out??
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2022, 01:13 AM   #20
cericd

It seems that’s just how Spectra/Precision fuel tanks are packaged. My two Spectra tanks came from Autozone and the two Precision tanks came from O’reilley. The packaging was identical except for the Precision or Spectra sticker on the boxes. Clearly they do a better job packaging their radiator cores.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:19 AM   #21
mr.mud1

Quote:
It seems that’s just how Spectra/Precision fuel tanks are packaged. My two Spectra tanks came from Autozone and the two Precision tanks came from O’reilley. The packaging was identical except for the Precision or Spectra sticker on the boxes. Clearly they do a better job packaging their radiator cores.
yes sir.i never doubted you were right,just seems odd to me to take so much care for a core and not give a crap about a tank??
Old 02-27-2022, 02:50 PM   #22
jimijam00

An aluminum rad core is probably more susceptible to damage that would cause a leak than a steel fuel tank.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:08 PM   #23
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
An aluminum rad core is probably more susceptible to damage that would cause a leak than a steel fuel tank.
yes sir,you're right,i know all about delicate rad cores,i dropped my original rad while i was soldering it back together and drove the corner of my welder through it,that's why i have a new core??this one is an old fashioned brass and copper rad core but regardless,they're all easy to damage.i guess the point i was trying to make was,it just seemed odd that a company would take such care for some products but not all?if my name was on the building,i'd want everything packaged well,regardless of what it was,no sense inviting trouble?
take care.Greg
Old 02-27-2022, 04:28 PM   #24
cericd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
yes sir,you're right,i know all about delicate rad cores,i dropped my original rad while i was soldering it back together and drove the corner of my welder through it,that's why i have a new core??this one is an old fashioned brass and copper rad core but regardless,they're all easy to damage.i guess the point i was trying to make was,it just seemed odd that a company would take such care for some products but not all?if my name was on the building,i'd want everything packaged well,regardless of what it was,no sense inviting trouble?
take care.Greg
Hey Greg, I totally agree. At some point I'm going to replace this "new" Precision tank because the bent neck bugs the crap outta me. Even though I got 4 tanks with bent necks from them I'll probably try them again because their build quality seems as good as OEM. Hopefully I'll be lucky like 67 twins.

Old 02-27-2022, 10:35 PM   #25
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Hey Greg, I totally agree. At some point I'm going to replace this "new" Precision tank because the bent neck bugs the crap outta me. Even though I got 4 tanks with bent necks from them I'll probably try them again because their build quality seems as good as OEM. Hopefully I'll be lucky like 67 twins.
When you tried bending back the other one and it cracked on you, was that with heat applied or just cold metal? If you didn't try it with heat the last time, maybe try it with heat this time before buying another tank? If it doesn't work, you were planning on getting another tank anyways

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote