The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
Crazy Rusty

Question CPP drop crossmember and carrier bearing

Has anyone used one of these with a 2 piece driveshaft? I was going to just center the carrier and drill holes for it but then I found the two mounts in the picture. They seem like they raise it up too high though. Any ideas on how to mount the carrier bearing?
Attached Images

Crazy Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
Raszaron

Re: CPP drop crossmember and carrier bearing

Great question! I will be doing this soon, so I am interested as well...
Raszaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:21 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Those brackets you have look to be for the light duty carrier bearing that most everyone seems to use and also complain they don't hold up. I do not know if you can use that HD carrier bearing with that crossmember. You will have to fabricate a mount for it. If it ends up below the bottom of the crossmember you might have to hang it from the top instead.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 PM   #4
Crazy Rusty

When I compare the old and new crossmembers, the bottom on both is the same. I won't be able to measure until tomorrow but it seems to me that I should be able to just bolt the carrier to the crossmember directly, same as the original (though I know nothing of pinion angles).

Once I get the rest done and have it on all fours I'll measure it and post some pics.

Ras - I don't know if I'd get the drop crossmember again. The only difference is a raised hoop and higher trailing arm mounts. Not sure why I thought there would be more to it. If I had to do it over again I'd just get new arm mounts and weld in a higher hoop on top.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:05 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The original trailing arm crossmember was not flat on the bottom. It dropped down on the center. As for mounting the HD carrier bearing, there was an additional bracket that was riveted to the crossmember and the carrier bearing bolted to that.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:11 AM   #6
Crazy Rusty

Yes, my apologies that's what I meant. The additional bracket on the old crossmember that the carrier bolted to is at the same height as the bottom of the new crossmember.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:18 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If that is the case, you should be able to drill the mounting holes in the crossmember and bolt it up.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:26 PM   #8
scrappy's 69

Hate to revive am old post, but what was the solution here? I will be replacing my crossmember with a dropped member and have the same question about where to mount the hangar bearing.