The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
Jerrys1stgJimmy

More rust than first realized

I have had my "project" sitting in the garage for a long time and stockpiling parts and whatnot, but have not gotten too much done on it. I knew it had a rust problem in the rockers, floor pans, and what seemed like minor surface rust in many other places. I did not look closely at one major area: The windshield frame, from the looks of it is very rusted. Is this a major problem? I planned on coating everything with rust encapsalator that I could. This is my first restoration and just the rockers and floors seemed scary enough for me, but I get even more discouraged when I look at what else is rusted, the rocker boxes are rusted up and down, maybe if I coat both sides with rust encap it will be okay? Would it be worth it to take everything apart, and do a frame off to get everything done right the first time? How long will this take vs. not getting so thorough? Sorry for the long message, maybe it won't read well but I really need help as this job seems impossible to me right now. I can take pics of everything sometime if you all would like to see it. It has a lot of potential, and I have found some very beefy bumpers, full cage, and some very nice seats locally and I thought I was nearly ready to go...this rust has got me down!@
Jerrys1stgJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:12 PM   #2
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

It really depends on the money, time and skill that you have to get the job done. I know rust is very frustrating work, and it is usually money well spent to START with a "rustfree" or somewhat close body. It is really up to you on what you want to tackle. My advice is if it seems like to much just "looking" at it imagine how it is going to feel trying to actually "work" on it! The hardest thing about these blazers is keeping going and motivated on the project as you go and until the end. After you are done you won't be able to sell it for what you have into it, so don't work yourself into hating your blazer just to lose money if you deciede to sell.
I guess in not so many words (give me a break I am a woman ) It all depends on how much money you have. I am glad I got to help my hubby do our restoration, but I think if we had spent $6000-$8000 on a rust free blazer we would be thousands ahead by now! Good luck to you, and can you post some pics??
Diane

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:50 PM   #3
mastercraftkpk

If you plan to keep your Blazer, then take the time to fix the rust NOW. If you coat it w/ "encapsulator", you will only have a bigger mess in a few years requiring even more work, time, and $$$$.

I started my resto of a '72 Blazer almost 1 year ago. I also found more rust than I originally thought. It has taken me about a year of weekends and after work to do a complete body off restoration. Much of the body that "looked" good was not good. In the long run, I am glad that I did it now rather than later. When I am done, it will be better than new. With good care, it will last long enough for me to give it to my 8 year old son in 8 more years and for him to give it to his son.
mastercraftkpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
Jerrys1stgJimmy

This stuff is comparable to POR15. The only thing I'm very worried about is the other side of the panel, yet to decide what to do.
Jerrys1stgJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote