The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #1
Aruba1

Help with Hydroboost setup

I have a 2001 LSX 5.3L with an NV4500 gearbox in my 1972 GMC 1 ton. My booster and master cylinder was purchased and installed by me and I just hate the brakes as after driving for a while it does not brake like is should. The whole brake system was converted to a 1989 Chevy 3500.

I got a hydroboost setup from Pull-a-part that came off a 2004 Yukon. I am not going to install power steering as I like the manual steering. What else do I need to operate the hydro booster without worrying about power steering?

If you have a hydro setup in your LSX, please post some pics. I am not sure if I need a separate reservoir or if I can use the pump reservoir. And I am not sure how to run all the hoses. Thanks in advance.
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Help with Hydroboost setup

The hydroboost is designed to be used with power steering. There is Pressure line from the power steering pump to the hydroboost and then another pressure line from the boost to the steering box. Both the steering box and the hydroboost have a return line. I Don't know if you can simply plug the high pressure out port on the hydroboost but I doubt it. The reservoir on the pump is all you need but I have never seen hydroboost used on a vehicle that doesn't have power steering.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Aruba if your only gonna run the hydro all you need to do is use a power steering pump and run from the pump to hydro and back to pump reservoir but you need the pump from a hydro as well cause you'll have 2 return lines going into the pump..all your doing is bypassing the steering sector .the pump reservoir would be plenty big enough for your hydro..

Last edited by mongocanfly; 03-07-2016 at 09:41 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

The pressure line comes off the bottom of the pump and goes to the upper left side of the hydro. The front line with the hose clamps on it on the hydro is a bypass back to the pump and hooks to the upper hose barb on the pump. The back right line would go to the steering sector but you would just need to run it back into the pump. The two lines on the pump with hose clamps are the return lines.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I don't know if a later model steering sector would bolt onto your 72 or not. Mine is a 81 1 ton and you can steer it with one finger..brakes are unbelievable to. You will love it
Old 03-07-2016, 09:46 PM   #6
cableguy0

The line from the boost to pump is high pressure and attempting to just dump it back into the pump isn't going to work well. You will probably blow the reservoir apart if you manage to keep the line attached.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

What about the return line from the steering sector to the pump..its attached with hose clamps..does the steering absorb all the pressure?. I got a buddy that runs a extra power steering pump just for the hydraulic cylinder for his dump bed.he's got a pressure hose to his valve but his return is just a rubber hose with clamps on it.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:33 PM   #8
Aruba1

Thanks. Got it! So from pump to hydro, hydro to pump and pump to pump?

Let me ask another question, how easy (or difficult) is it to retrofit a newer steering box in my truck? I like the manual steering as-is but it's not too much work involved I may consider an assisted steering.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:44 PM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

you may want to look at an electric booster.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:47 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Electric...hmmmmm...
Old 03-08-2016, 01:20 AM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

$1200+ for most of the electric setups I've seen.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #12
mongocanfly
Post Whore

$1200......ouch..
Old 03-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #13
Aruba1

Thanks for your input. Well this weekend I am heading back to pull a apart. I should be able to locate a p/s pump for a hydro boost setup that has the return hook-up. Some pics of the hydroboost.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2016, 10:14 AM   #14
Aruba1

One other question. The p/s box on our trucks mount on the outside while the new ones mount on the inside. How difficult would it be to mount the newer style p/s box to our truck?
Old 03-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #15
dec010974

Sorry for the interruption, can I use any Hydroboost set up, from any GM truck, vehicle? I know the GM Vans, from certain years, Like 1998+, have the angled hydroBoost unit, which I wouldn't use. I would like to use a Hydroboost setup from a 2001 - 2007, Tahoe, silverado or suburban, if possible. I think I know what to look for, just wanted a quick reference. Thanks in advance, Clark.
dec010974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #16
Aruba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec010974 View Post
Sorry for the interruption, can I use any Hydroboost set up, from any GM truck, vehicle? I know the GM Vans, from certain years, Like 1998+, have the angled hydroBoost unit, which I wouldn't use. I would like to use a Hydroboost setup from a 2001 - 2007, Tahoe, silverado or suburban, if possible. I think I know what to look for, just wanted a quick reference. Thanks in advance, Clark.
I think any setup off a truck will work in ours, whatever year you go with. You will have to make a bracket for the pump but as long as you get all the parts from the same truck you will be okay. If you start getting i.e. a hydro brake off a 1998 and a power steering pump of a 2004 and then try to located hoses then you may run into issues. I would avoid the angled units.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:00 PM   #17
clinebarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruba1 View Post
One other question. The p/s box on our trucks mount on the outside while the new ones mount on the inside. How difficult would it be to mount the newer style p/s box to our truck?
If you want SAE Flare, Any '69-'80 GM Truck gear box bolts up.

If you want Metric O-Ring, Any '81-'87 GM Truck gear box bolts up.

I would go for Metric O-Ring because that will match your HydroBoost & you can use the 2 power steering hoses of a mid '80's truck with some tweaking here & there....Don't have to build or have hoses made.

Cableguy already stated this, But to reiterate.....You HAVE to run power steering with a HydroBoost or rig up some kind of high pressure regulator too emulate the steering box.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #18
cableguy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Cableguy already stated this, But to reiterate.....You HAVE to run power steering with a HydroBoost or rig up some kind of high pressure regulator too emulate the steering box.
I was sort of waiting to see pictures of a power steering pump blown open. I hope the warning is heeded.

Anyhow as Clinebarger said its a lot easier if you stick with one year range so you can use stock hoses. Metric hoses are going to be a lot easier to find and as stated will match your hydroboost. Your brakes will be night and day different. I will never run another performance vehicle without using hydroboost. No worries about low vacuum and losing brakes in traffic and the vehicle just stops better.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 PM   #19
cableguy0

Just to add you can swap out the fitting in the power steering pump to whichever one you need. It unscrews out and will have a spring and valve behind it. That way if your current pump has the old sae line fitting you can upgrade to the newer metric fitting without changing the pump. You don't have to use a pump with 2 returns. You can simply put a tee in the return line that will allow the hydroboost and steering box to use the same inlet. Some vehicles had it this way factory and some used a pump with 2 return ports.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:11 AM   #20
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Not trying to dispute what cableguy and clinebarger are saying..I've been doing some reading and am trying to understand this so bare with me... but it seems there are quite a few rock crawlers and autocrossers that are running hydroboost brakes without the power steering. It does look as though most of them run the pressure line from the hydro that would go to the steering sector instead now runs straight to the cooler then back to the pump. How are they getting away with it..just trying to understand..
Old 03-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #21
michael bustamante

i got a question on this. ( not to hijack) but what is the advantage of hydroboost when doing the ls conversion? especially in a half ton 2wd. c20`s and 30`s yes i can see fro additional brake power when hauling. but what about a c10 short stepper not really hauling anything real heavy?
Old 03-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #22
Aruba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
i got a question on this. ( not to hijack) but what is the advantage of hydroboost when doing the ls conversion? especially in a half ton 2wd. c20`s and 30`s yes i can see fro additional brake power when hauling. but what about a c10 short stepper not really hauling anything real heavy?
My uncle is who convinced of the hydro setup. He got one in his 1966 shortbed C10. It's probably a little of an overkill on the C10 if you not going to haul heavy stuff but it's safer then boost brakes and feels a lot better too.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #23
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Also you dont have to rely on engine vacuum to make it work (big cam!!). Aruba believe it or not the orignal hoses from my 81 were the same as the ones on the ls pump..I didn't have to change anything..I was told it wouldn't work and I would have to get a hydralic hose shop to fab me one from 2 different hoses...got lucky on this ..both were communist fittings...I mean metric
Old 03-08-2016, 05:31 PM   #24
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I actually have the "angled" van setup in mine from a 97 astro.

I piecut the bracket to lay the bump flat, and it works exactly like anything else. The booster itself isn't angled, its only the res on the master, which will look "leaned back" a tad. You can technically pop the resevior out and pop a universal one or a donor one in its place.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 AM   #25
Aruba1

Ok, so power steering it is then. I guess it will be best if I get the steering box setup of an older truck that mounts on the outside of the frame and hook it up to my hydro boost setup that I already got or make it easier and get a complete older system setup (pump, booster, box) and put a serpentine pulley on it and make my own brackets.