The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #30
Mickey_D
Dirteh Kitteh

Re: Safe tow rope options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
There were a lot of Coasties that had the wrapped in line (whatever you do, don't call it "rope"!!!!) bumper treatment. With your experience, you know what I talking about for towing.......

Oh, the one time I used the 2" I offered it to a bunch of guys. The one stuck was a HUGE mottha' of a Suburban. Not entirely sure exactly what it was, but the 38" Gumbo Monster Mudders were below ground level, as were the step rails on the 8" total lift vehicle. The towing vehicles were an F-350 oil burner with 38's, an IH 1 ton Travelall with 35's, and some monstrous K-5 Blazer with 44's that made the ground shake when it idled. They wrapped the line around something on the Burb, a clove hitch knot on the F-350's bumper, a clove hitch knot on the Cornbinder's bumper, and a double reef knot on the Blazer (Yes, I had over 100' of the 2"). I just stood back and watched as I would guess about 2,000ft/lbs of combined torque (all in 4WD-Lo) pulled up the slack.

All three gave everything they had to pull that Burb out, and that line didn't even groan. I REALLY kick myself on not grabbing that stuff off my Jeep. There's been several times I could have done with that stuff handy.

1955 Willys CJ-5 all original and the oldest CJ-5 on the road.
2001 Dodge Neon (wife's car)
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition SOLD
1981 K15 Custom Deluxe 4X4, rusty but trusty wood hauler. SOLD
1993 S-10 4X4 Tahoe SOLD

RIP ESLL

Last edited by Mickey_D; 02-23-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote