The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
PA-IndianRider

Budget Hop-Up for a daily driver

I know you guys are all shakin' your head saying "I knew he wouldn't leave that El Camino eventually do it"..... yeap gonna swap out the V6 - 3 speed manual for the 350 - 4 bolt I have collecting "dust" in my workshop mated to a 4 speed. Just like you guys... can't seem to leave "anything" alone (stock) for too long...HA!!

Even so I am NOT going to do much more than the V8 swap other than some "dress-up" items on the engine and possibly some "LOW-BUCK" performance upgrades.

The engine was running (purring like a kitten) when I yanked it out of '72 C10.

I plan to take a look inside the engine to make sure all is well .... and hopefully I will not have to rebuild. With "swap meet season" just around the corner here in western Pa I am going to keep my eyes open for a better set of heads to rebuild. Would prefer to use something better rather than getting a valve job/etc on the "stock ones"

ONE.... I on't want to tie up too much money (unless you want to donate...ha!!!) and mainly because it is a daily driver....and TWO.... it's NOT a race or show car.

I do have a NEW Edelbrock "Performer - Air gap" also laying around in the shop that I "could use".... also would upgrade fuel system alittle with electric fuel pump, more efficent fuel filter and of course some kind of "ignition" grade and headers.

Like I said before.... being I am trying NOT to have the engine completely rebuilt I know will also LIMIT the amount of hop-ups I can do without asking for trouble.

Based on my "history" with hot rods .... It'll be tough to HOLD BACK.... a "mild" street cam would be nice for added performance & fuel economy.... and also rump-rump sound.... but being the El C is driven daily (and in the Winter as well) I know i need to keep things "under control" and not turn this into a "fussy car" that is tempermental and a hassle to drive on the street ....especially during cold weather.

Would appreciate any suggestions & advice.... thanks.
"Gasser/Altered Drag Race Hot Rod"
Where were You in '62 ?
PA-IndianRider is offline   Reply With Quote