The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
JCampbell
Account Suspended

'77 3+3 C30 Dually - "The "Sled"

So I thought I’d jump on board and put together a little build thread of my own. She’s know as "The Sled” over on DuallyScene, so I decided to roll with it.

Here’s how she looked as-purchased:

Here’s the Western Chassis 6/8 drop going on:

Here she sits after it was all said and done:

The seats were straight nasty. I took them over to my buddies shop and he hooked me up:

I started out pretty hot and heavy at first. Rebuild the brake system, rebuilt the front end, had the entire A/C system repaired, etc. Lots of little stuff that didn’t warrant any pics. That was all right before the bottom dropped out of the real estate marked in SoCal. Realizing it was quickly becoming the right time to buy, we put the brakes on the Sled to start saving up for a house.

Fast forward a bit...

We bought our first house and got settled in and stabilized financially, so now I’m going to start making some more forward progress on the Sled.

I picked up a parts truck:

I’ve been eyeballin’ this sucker for over 6 months. It had been sitting at a body shop down the street from our yard at work. He was trying to part it out. I stopped by about 4 months ago and he said he wanted $350 for the whole thing. I swung by yesterday and offered him 2 bills and he took it. So I called up the hook and had it dropped at my pad. I think he was just stoked to get it outta his place.

It had been picked over since the last time I saw it, but it has all the parts I really care about. It’s remarkably straight for as haggard as it looks.

I’m going to swap over the bed, doors and front end. I know a guy who is going to hook me up with his ’88 grill (I love the 85-88 grills) and headlight bezels, so they will find their way onto the Sled as well. The plan for now is to shoot it Indigo Blue and tint the windows. That way, it’ll look good on the outside, and I’ll swap out to an 81-91 interior when I can get to it.

The plan is to make it a nice cruiser. I'm still looking for a 3+3 K30 dually to lift, so this one will be more "hot rod" than work truck.

So, there you have it...another dually build.
JCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote