The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
jnocero

Different Frame widths?

I called Flaming River because I wanted to find out more about their bolt-in rack and pinion kit. It is only available for 73-87, because they said the front frame width changed in 73. This is most likely not true. The frame may have changed in height, but not width.

I was also told they bolt their cradle to the inside of the frame rails, and you have to box the frame to get it to work. They said the width of their rack bracket is 28-3/8". I measured my 68 and 72, and it measures that to the outside of the frame, so that could also be wrong.

The width of their rack is 46-7/8" tip to tip, and that is without tie rod ends (you supply them).

They sell the rack, bracket, column, wheel, and pump for $3000, They will sell the rack and bracket alone for $2830.

In fairness, they are not selling this for a 67-72, just the 73-up. I was interested in trying to make something like it work on a 68-72, and see if anyone had bought one, but it looks like nobody has. I just wanted to post what I had found out about this, in case anyone wants to try it.
Attached Images

Last edited by jnocero; 08-20-2010 at 10:08 PM.
jnocero is offline   Reply With Quote