The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
lsp1369

Valve adjustment issues???

Hey everyone..

ill start from the beginning, I recently bought my 73 c10, 350 SBC, TH400, 12 bolt rear.

(engine casting # is 3970010, ID # in front of the passenger head is VO225TBC, and the head casting # is 3973487)

i had my carb off and rebuilt and while that was being done.. i plugged the intake with a couple rags and pressure washed the engine come to find out the valve covers were loose and i unknowingly got a large amount of water in there, neddless to say i got the carb back (3 days later) and when i went to crank (not knowing there was water in it) and it fires and i get a loud rattle/knock from under the valve cover, so i check the oil and it looks like chocolate milk. So i get that stuff out immediately, put fresh oil in and try again. no more milk, but i have a loud rattle coming from the valve cover.

I figured the rockers were loose.. so i follow the adjustment method below.

No. 1 cylinder at TDC compression:

Adjust exhaust valve: 1, 3, 4, 8

Adjust intake valve: 1, 2, 5, 7

No. 6 cylinder at TDC compression:

Adjust exhaust valve: 2, 5, 6, 7

Adjust intake valve: 3, 4, 6, 8

adjusted them all 1/2 turn passed zero lash.

So i do this and i hear air going through all the valves when i go to crank the motor again. so now im thinking i over tightened them. well i do it again and I loosen all the rockers first. then follow the procedure again.

i adjusted the # 7 intake rocker while #1 cylinder was at TDC.. i then move on to the #6 cylinder at TDC and i go to check #7 intake valve (the one I already adjusted) and the rocker is so loose i can spin it almost all the way around.

So im guessing this is where my rattle/knock was coming from and the problem is probably a collapsed lifter.

any ideas on this or am i right in it being a lifter issue?

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

Last edited by lsp1369; 11-11-2010 at 01:42 PM.
lsp1369 is offline   Reply With Quote