The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
silverado383

Re: post your 67-72 4x4

i did all the trim work (i.e. doors, hood, joints, tight spots) with full strength paint and a foam brush. the first coat i thined out to 70/30 mix (70% paint 30% mineral spirits). the second coat was a little closer to 80/20 or so. i wet sanded after the second coat then did two more coats with no thiner. i want to wet sand it and get at least two more coats down on it but i ran out of time. the paint can says it needs 24 hrs to dry but i would wait about 6 hrs between coats or until the paint was dry to the touch, it actually set up pretty fast. i thought it would be better to put the paint down while the other coats were still slightly tacky to help it bond.......not sure if thats the right idea or not.
i will have to wait until the weather warms up a bit before i can get more paint down on it but what i have on it now should help protect the body from moisture.
i kind of rushed it becuz all i had was a weekend to do it and wanted to get as much done as i could but i was able to get it all done in a weekend. the hardest part is waiting for the paint to dry
i used a dense/firm foam roller to apply the paint.

Last edited by silverado383; 12-21-2010 at 11:14 AM.
silverado383 is offline   Reply With Quote