The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-01-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
1970Naggi

1970 K-10 SWB LQ4 Motor Swap

At long last, it is time to begin my build project. I purchased Naggi (the 1970 K-10 pickup) a little over a year ago. Mechanically, the truck had been severly abused but the body was in tact. Being an Arizona truck, the truck did not have any rust on it so I knew I had a good base to work with for this project.

I sold my new (2008) Silverado in order to rid myself of those nightmarish truck payment to save for this build. I rebuilt the warn out V8 that was in it just well enough to get me to and from work. The last year has truly felt like a prison as I have had no reliable transportation to enjoy but the goal was to save for this build.

I have the 6.0 LQ4 and 4L80E that I robbed from a 2005 Chevy 3500. I also picked up a NP241 transfer case out of 92 Blazer that has the passenger side drop and VSS already in it. Word to the wise, make sure you get the 32 spline input shaft on that T-case if you are mounting to the 4L80E. ahhh, life's little lessons... the powertrain currently has 90,000 miles on it, but I did get to drive the truck it came out of prior to pulling the powertrain and it should have plenty of life remaining.

I will also be converting the truck over to 4 wheel disc brakes (so I can stop all that power) and relocating the fuel system under the bed. On the inside of the truck, I have decided to move the shifter from the column and have purchased a Lokar floor shifter with the LED indicator. I think this will add a fun and nostalgic look to the interior. I purchased a tilt column with the cruise lever and a beautiful new half wrap billet wheel. The drivers information center is completely new with Autometer gauges and the necessary LEDs for turn signal, high beam, and check engine lights.

There are a few other things I am working on with the interior and will keep this post up-to-date as I'm able. The motor swap will commence this week beginning with the removal of the existing powertrain. Pictures to come...

Enjoy,
1970Naggi is offline   Reply With Quote