The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #1
1mitch4

2wd to 4wd conversion 71 chevy cheyenne

Hey guys and gals, I'm new to the forum, owned the truck for 13 years and I'm wanting to convert my cheyenne super to 4wd. I have attached some pics after paint last year. First time painting and first vehicle, came out ok, but going to do a big overhaul this year with the conversion, funding permitting. I have some questions for you builders on here. I have been doing some research about the swap and how to do it. I can't locate a frame, but I have a guy that I know that owns the local junkyard says he has a front section off of a 68 for the hangers and springs, possibly diff. Now what will I run into with the older front section, can anyone fill me in. Are the springs any diff, or any other probs. Another question I have: my truck is a rear trailing arm set up and I'm going to springs, but I'm leaning toward later model stuff, being that he doesn't have anything from the rear, and I have access to tons of later stuff. Now I know the springs are wider and the perches will have to be narrowed (I think), but what about the hangers as far as size and setup, same or not, and the arch, I'm thinking that it is a little different on the later trucks. Thanks for your time guys and can't wait to get this thing done!
Attached Images

Last edited by 1mitch4; 06-05-2011 at 08:54 PM.
1mitch4 is offline   Reply With Quote