The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
JONS59

Need some IFS advice

Hey guys, I'm new here. My name is Jon, I have a 59 Chevy 1/2 ton step side. It's all stock but the engine and trany. I have a SBC 350 with 700R4. My question to you guys is, I'm looking into swapping front ends. I have 3 ideas, Camaro, Jaguar, or the '03-'07 Crown Vic. I've been following a guy on here called "Oldjimmy57" and he's doing the CV. Now I don't have a lot of fab experiance so the camaro looks a little intimidating because I have to cut the front of my frame off, and fab new brackets for my radiator support, and other things. I have seen a few thread on here, and the guys have done great work, it would be hard to believe that it didn't come from factory.

Now I can get a whole Jaguar pretty easy here in CA and take that front and rear suspension and bolt that into my frame. I know it's not a direct bolt it, but the fab work doesn't look that bad. The problem I have is it's rear steer and some people have clearance problems. Also if parts break or need replacing (being that old i should just rebuild the whole thing), it might be hard to find parts. And if you do find them how expensive...

The last option is the Crown Vic. Not as easy to find cause they are still reasonibly new but I'm trying to figure out what my county does with it's fleet vehicles. The swap looks like it might be the easiest, but what do I know. It looks like I can bolt it up weld some bracket up, and some support tubs and box the frame. The problem I have with this is it's so wide (hub to hub), I would have to use late model wheels with lots of backspacing, that doesn't seem to bad but not sure if goes with the old school look of the 59. oldjimmy57 has mustang rims for mock up and they look good. I have always wanted to run AR Hopster wheels on it, but looking at there website not sure if i can get a wheel with enough backspacing.

My intension with this truck is to make it a daily driver/cruiser. It will live in SoCal so deffenitly needs good brakes. Gotta love the 405. Anyways I lost my boat a few years back but I will get another one some day. So it will need to be able to tow like an old 70's jet boat. Also the truck is currently in NorCal and I live in Socal. So the swap would be done over a few weekends/ months, but I'm on like a 6 months dead line to get it drive able. Sorry about the long post. Any advice you guys could give would be great. Thanks
JONS59 is offline   Reply With Quote