The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #1
ProStreet68SB
The Engine Whisperer

Talking 454 Nitrous/Bracket Engine

I recently picked up my first Big Block. Little background as to why I picked up the engine. I'm currently a student at the University of Northwestern Ohio, and in a recent class I was giving the opportunity to get grade for going through a engine of my own. Knowing where this motor was, I picked it up and proceeded to tear it down. Onto the engine itself:

I bought it with a wiped camshaft (hydraulic flat tappet doesnt work well with springs meant for a solid roller). The motor had 10 hours on it (out of a boat, and before that a truck).
Had a 10qt oil pan, Scat 9000 series crank, Scat Pro-Comp forged rods(press fit), and lastly Silv-O-Lite hyper pistons.
The motor is stock bore and will most likely stay there, as I have a good bit before I'm out of spec.
The rods are currently at watson-ruppel performance, being converted to a full floating set up, as well as having ARP wave-loc bolts put in.

Sorry for the long intro there, onto to hopefully the good stuff.

Since I'm running stock bore, my choice in pistons are limited. I've been looking at ICON. Does anyone know anything about them? I'm looking to end up right around 11:1, something still 93 friendly.

Cylinder heads! This is going to be a touchy topic, looking at running a low cost set of Al. Heads. Yes, I'm looking at patriot heads and Pro Comp. I'd be buying a complete set, but still going through them to make sure everything is up to par.

Nitrous. I plan on spraying 100-125 on a regular basis, with the option to go all the way up to 200 to have some real fun. Probably will be running a plate. Is there anything wrong with running a plate on a dual plane intake?

Thanks in advance everyone. Sorry for how much there is to read, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible here. Also if any of the builders out there want to send me little tips and tricks for horsepower that the avg public might not know about, that would be greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Nickey.
ProStreet68SB is offline   Reply With Quote