The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
LockDoc
The Older Generation

An Interesting Story About My '68 CST/Custom Camper

-
The original post when I got the truck is here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478066

I had to go to Pella, Iowa the other day so I took the ladies information that I got off the title for the '68 before I transferred it over to my name. I had looked the name up in the online white pages and there was a listing for her so I told the wife I was going to try to contact her. I had printed out a map from Google Maps and used it to locate the house. I went to the door and asked her if she used to own a Silver 1968 Chevrolet truck. She said she didn't but her late husband did. He bought the truck new in 1968 and they were married in 1969. He died 13 years ago and she kept the truck for a while because she couldn't make herself sell it. She said that her husband used it for daily transportation, hauling fire wood, hunting and fishing, and to pull his ski boat and small travel trailer with. She finally donated the truck to an organization that rehabilitated teenage alcoholics in Des Moines, Iowa because she thought her husband would approve of that. The truck was then purchased by the owner of the salvage yard at an auction that the rehabilitation organization had, but he never transferred the title into his name. The lady couldn't believe that I had bought the truck and was going to fix it up. I printed out a picture and took it with me and when I showed it to her I thought she was going to start crying. She said it brought back a lot of memories for her. She thanked me several times for stopping and wanted me to keep in touch. She still has her husbands wooden water skis and asked me if I wanted them to display in the back of the truck when I get it finished. I gave her my card and told her I would stop back the next time I was down that way. That trip made my day and I'm pretty sure it did hers too...... I was really happy to learn some history on the truck.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote