The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
NotNuRodz

First Old Truck--64 Beater

I decided to make my original thread into a build thread because thats what it was kind of turning into and I felt like it belonged in this section more. So I'm copying all my original post into here so everything is easy to follow.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I picked this truck up at an auction down in Jane Missouri last weekend. It's nothing fancy or desirable really just a long bed, small back window 64. I went to get a 59 el camino for my dad but it was a mess and this truck was one of the most solid old trucks I had ever seen.

It has the typical rust in the lower front fenders, but the rest is amazing. The truck looks like it's been repainted once before, I tried to polish it up a little and it's got a nice patina shine now. If it was all original paint I would probably leave it but because I work in a body shop in the summer I'll probably paint this thing.

I got the truck home last saturday night and luckily my dad owns a car lot so he had his mechanics put on all new brakes and clean out the fuel system and now this things runs and drives surprisingly nice.

Here is a short plan of action for this truck:
1.new bed wood
2.lower it
3.swap in running 307 I have laying around
4. fix rust and repaint

Heres the truck on it's way home

And some pics after I cleaned it up

Some fancy Patina

The interior is real simple. It got a seat cover on the seat that looks like it was once recovered in black vinyl. I'm no expert but I don't think you could get one of these with a black seat.

Also someone hacked the dash up for a radio, so I think i will fill that space with some gauges so I don't have to do any welding inside the cab.

Here are the pictures of what I picked up today, needless to say I love swap meets!

First I picked up 5 used 235-70-15 tires that should fill out the wheel wells nicely

I wanted some tri-five dog dish caps for the wheels and started to piece together a set

but then I found these and couldn't resist, they are a little rough but I can clean them up.

and finally the thing I'm most excited about, I can't believe I got these for $25

to bad they don't fit my model a :wash:

Had some guys on another forum photoshop some pics for me, and I decided I love this color combo so tomorrow I'm blasting my wheels and painting them orange.

Got enough work done on this thing that I think it's worth an update. Although most of the pictures are really bad because I can only work in the smallest bay at my dad's car lot thats usually used for storage, but at least I have a lift.

First I painted the logo on my tailgate (it looks good from 5 feet away), and took off that heavy bumper.

And I got my wheels painted and mounted on the new tires.

Now I'm trying to decide which caps to use

And I also started ripping out the wood for the water bed instillation (just kidding)

I'll get some better pictures as soon as it's on the ground, I just wish I had an awesome garage like my friends to work in all the time.

NotNuRodz is offline   Reply With Quote