The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #11
Ackattack

Re: Project Family Chummins

Tonight I got my cruise control working.

For the cable I had to slice a slot in the bracket to allow the cable to slide by and then the original gm cable popped into the bracket. However, the cable was a little too long to the stop. So I cut the end of it off and put on a new end a little close to the throttle linkage and clamped it on (I already had all this done) Then, I found the wire that is supposed to go from the ECM to the cruise control box that sends the VSS signal. Well I tapped into the wire that sends the modified signal to the speedo and that was it. It worked just like stock!

Then I messed around with the tach a little. I got the tach to work and calibrated with the dakota digital sgi-5 box I'm using for the speedo. I only have one sgi-5, but I still have the dsl-1d. So I tried using it to calibrate my tach signal. Basically it was a no go. I couldn't get it to multiply it enough to get it calibrated. So I guess I will send it back and exchange it for another sgi-5.

Finally I changed out the headlight switch connector. I don't know if I had mentioned it before, but at some point the PO had some "issues". The connector was melted, a much larger wire shoved in the connector and connected with wire nuts. Initially this would then short to the adjacent wire and the headlights would come on. It looked like a fire waiting to happen. So the other day when I stopped by the salvage yard, I got a new connector and got it installed tonight. It was pretty much swap the wires into the new connector, though the one wire with the wire nut got replaced along with one other wire that looked in bad shape. So now I feel a little better about it not catching on fire....at least from that...ha ha
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote