The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
JointTech

Re: N00b with a 72 c20

got the tranny back yesterday. During the week I got the TC cover, dipstick, drive shafts, and shift linkage painted.

I also put every nut and bolt through my wirewheel to clean out the threads. The ones that were to beat up I replaced with new grade 8.

I climbed under today and cleaned off the cross member, wiped down the speedo cable and the wires so it wont be to much of a greasy mess when I go to install it.

I found the kickdown (transmission control switch) cable was cut through the sheath so I cut and spliced it.

I got a new kickdown switch from the chevy dealer and installed it today.

My tranny mount was broken. None of the parts places had one but they did have this poly performace one that looks like it will work just fine except my bolts for some reason are to long. I dont really understand why because the OE mount looks like its about the same width and I dont rememeber having 50 washers on it when I took it off.

You can also see one of the burnt clutches. I took one with me out of the big box of stuff they took out of the tranny before rebuilding.

I got some SUV jackstands this week and made my diy tranny lift a little taller. I was almost to short to lift it enough when i took it out.

Tomorrow my buddy is going to come up and help me put it in. I was going to do it myself today but to be honest I dont think I can get it out of my car by myself. I dont have a lift of any kind. And even a block and tackle wouldnt work because of my hatchback.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote