The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
AHowe88

I've come a long way in 3 months!

Long story short, I'm 25, and had never seen a first gen Blazer, until I decided to buy one. My previous toy was a 2007 Wrangler, and was the best vehicle I ever owned. I took it on a 11500 mile, 3 month road trip around the country, it was flawless offroading, hunting and fishing and as an every day driver. Then one morning I was driving down 95 South at 65 MPH, when a older fellow, who was driving 95 NORTH, had a seizure, crossed the 100 yard wide median, with his foot on the gas, and caused a big accident. I won't go into all the details, but I thought I was a goner, and was lucky to walk away from an accident that left 4 cars totaled:

I initially wanted to replace my Jeep with an old Bronco, but they were all silly money. About 3 months ago, I ended up getting a 72 out of Colorado, and had it shipped to Massachusetts, as the ones I looked at locally were just too rusted out. Here is how she looked when I got her:

I certainly started in a better position than most on here, but it turned out to be more work than I thought, but I guess that is always the case. I've done a ton of work in the past 3 months, but today things really came together. I had the top off for most of the 3 months, what an awesome driving experience. A topless Blazer is THE best tailgating vehicle out there. I took it to a bunch of country concerts and football games, it just can't be beat.

Mirrorless and missing some other touches, but done with paint. The Gunmetal Metallic paint looks much better in person:

I fixed up the top (not very well compared to what many on here do) and put it back on yesterday. My buddy replaced the lights from his 2013 Wrangler with LEDs so I grabbed his take outs and we put them in yesterday. Taking the old girl for a full day of hunting in Western Mass tomorrow, should be a good chance to, lightly, test the suspension out. The driveway isn't even, but I have a bit of a saggy rear I need to fix, it is on the to do list. When I got it, it was in primer, when I sent it away to be painted, we found out that it was probably in a hail storm, as the hood as a ton of tiny dents that were visible before. I ordered a cowl hood, which just arrived yesterday and should be getting painted and then mounted next week. I am thinking about doing the cowl part with a black wrap, does anyone have pictures of a two tone hood like that?

I'll have to get pictures of the interior, but I put in seats from a Jeep Patriot (still need to put in the rear), a retro sound radio, and wakeboard boat speakers mounted on the roll bar.

I am moving back to Africa in 2 weeks for an undetermined amount of time. So the Blazer will have to go in storage for the time being, but I am looking forward to many more years of enjoyment and refinements to the truck. I know a lot of guys like the more stock look

Last edited by AHowe88; 11-08-2013 at 07:53 PM.
AHowe88 is offline   Reply With Quote