The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
K10 STEPSIDE

LS LM7 swap start

I introduced some of you to my 67 K10 last week and now it's time to start the tear down on her to swap in a new motor the plan is to put one of the ls family in, most likely the LM7 unless I stumble upon something better. Tomorrow I'll be pulling the truck in the garage.

The Images I have posted are from the original build and the truck is still in one piece I'm just showing what I'm working with. I am planning on using the original sm420 Tran and T221 transfer case mainly because I see no "easy" or "cheap" way of switching it, and changing to the new ls and hydro brakes.

for mounting I have looked at two different options
plates like these http://dirtydingo.com/store/index.ph...=1_206_305_335
Or a crossmember kit like this http://dirtydingo.com/store/product_...oducts_id=1408

Does any one know why they don't include 4x4 on the plates fitment list. I will get a better look tomorrow but right now I haven't seen much for fitting this in a K10?

exhaust, right now I have headers on the truck and the options I see are.
changing the headers I have to fit with ls flanges
using the ls manifolds
Buying new headers
The exhaust is particularly tight in the truck between the cab, frame, clutch linkage, and crossmember on driver side.

The clutch linkage looks like it needs to go as I don't know if the ls has a bolt hole for it, I doubt it, and it will make more room for the exhaust, be cleaner.
these are the two types I found. (picture are not specific just examples)

Any specific part or build would be nice information?
mounting the master should be simple.

I plan on using some electric fans on the old radiator and making hoses to fit.
how ever Ill have to add the steam tube (any good ways to tie that up?)

as far as accessories Ill be using the alternator and power steering pump from the ls and will keep the ac pump on the shelf in case I decide to add it later. how will the ls alternator work compared to the 79 alternator I have now?

Right now I have the 2004 truck booster and master cylinder on the truck and an not very happy with it (running drums in the back and disks in the front)
So, what do you guys think of the new hydro setups and anything you have run across as a great proportioning valve?

when I pick up the engine I'll get the computer and harness as well, possibly the brake unit.

as far as this truck goes it is a show and go that gets driven alot. So the goal is to be reliable and clean.
I will be changing cam push rods and springs I have a general idea on what it will be but not positive, I am looking for an aggressive cam, but nothing insane with huge losses, just good power gain and sound. May change to car intake, relocate coil packs, get nice valve covers, and fuel rails.

I am open to any questions, constructive criticism. please point out anything I over looked, The main point here is to get the dos and don'ts, tricks and tips, and anything else to make this build better. please point out any 67-72 4x4 swap, i have been looking and have most of the information. I will be keeping this thread updated threw the build and will re post a clean build thread when it is finished with all helpful parts and information.
K10 STEPSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote