The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2015, 10:41 PM   #16
yahoos

Re: !964 Biscayne. Birdie Sue.

Well long time no post.

After the clunking noise it lead to a discovery of multiple issues. I never got rid of the clunk noise tho...

Ill stand by my word to this day though that the drive shaft telescoping part the shop added was bad. On top of the other work they did shortening.

The play in the slip yoke was also excessive. Took it out and returned to the rebuilder.

I took the the rear apart. I rebuilt the diff with a timken bearing set and us gear 3.73s to replace the 3.36s. New axle bearings. One of the old axle bearings felt rough and needed replaced. Could be the clunk.

Dont be too harsh on the wear pattern. When I set it up exactly by the book it had a toe to toe pattern. fix is more backlash. well that started giving goofy looking patterns so I set it up with best looking pattern and everything else within spec.

Rear is full assembled and back in the car. Trans guy called earlier and said its ready for pickup. It needs the trans reinstalled and she should be good. I hope so as I plan on taking leave next month and driving her to Oklahoma and then to Austin for the Lonestar roundup. Wish me luck. Also I ordered new bags for the rear and a electric fan for it. I will keep yall posted