The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
slowcpe

Need help picking out a welder for a newbie

Let me start off saying I've never welded a day in my life but given the amount of bodywork my truck needs, it's high time I learn. I'm not scared to learn, have read a decent amount about the subject over the last year and willing to invest a decent amount of money to buy the right gear. However, I don't want to overbuy if that's even possible. Majority of my welding will more than likely be bodywork, but I don't want to come to a situation where I wish I would've spent a little more and bought a better welder. That seems to the motto of my life. In the same breath the more I spend on the welder, the less goes into the truck. So here's what I'm looking at:

Garage has a single 220 outlet for my air compressor. Location is not ideal for most of my welding and don't really want to add an additional 220 on the other side of the garage. Dual voltage appeals to be as it sounds very versatile even though 110 is more than likely all I'll ever need.

In a perfect world I'm in love with the Miller 211 dual voltage. Seems like the perfect welder, if not extreme, for me. Biggest downside is cost is a little more than I want to spend, especially since I need all welding accessories and maybe a class or two.

I've got a coupon for a local store for 10% off everything in the store tomorrow only. They have a real nice welding department and carry Hobart and a few select Lincolns. My options there are the Hobart 140, 210MPV, and Lincoln 140.

I'm seriously thinking the of getting the Hobart 210 but know I'll lack infinite and the auto set settings of the Miller and the service of buying from a local AirGas.

Or am I overthinking this and get the 140 and save a little coin?

Thoughts from the pros?
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote