The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2015, 11:46 PM   #1
Gregsenne

Timing issue on a 350

This is my first time messing with timing, so Im just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. The engine is a pretty stock 350. My problem is, my timing is about 40°BTDC at idle, with the vaccuum advance capped. Is this normal? The sticker on my engine bay says 4°, so why is it around 40°?

I put a new balancer on (so i had all the marks). Verified that 0 on the balancer is at tdc. I put the dist in so that the button was right before the #1 on the cap. Wouldn't start. It sputtered if i turned the dist all the way counter clockwise, so i took the dist out and moved it back a tooth. It now runs decently. With the vac advance capped, it is around 38-40°BTDC at about 700RPM. Pushing on the throttle will advance it to around 50°BTDC

I guess im just wondering if this sounds right. Im no expert but the advance just seems like a lot. I think the engine runs alright (im still adjusting the dist every time i drive it because it will either kick back or ping, so i ever so slightly turn the dist appropriately when it happens). I also think it might lack power under load, but that could also be the 35" mud tires and 3.73 gears...

Thanks for the help.
Gregsenne is offline   Reply With Quote