The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
clinebarger

Re: Truth on Cold Air Intakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
There are some "architectural" things we did, too, that you might not notice. These were required to even give us a shot at getting in the game.

The '96 and beyond GMT400 models had the round element air cleaner on top of the fender, with the battery in the RF corner (passenger front) of the engine compartment.

It became obvious to me that I needed a flat filter in that spot to minimize the turns in order to even have a chance at meeting the aforementioned very aggressive flow requirement. So - I started a movement to displace the battery to some other location. Naturally the battery guy wasn't very happy about that.

We were stuck in a stalemate until the Chief Engineer, Ken Sohocki, took notice and called us into his office. He made each of us pitch our idea. In my case, I had actual flow data generated on the bench using rapid prototype material, and could demonstrate the effects with objective test data. The battery guy's response: "but we've always been right here".

The Chief's direction was swift and clear: "Seymore - you get the front corner. Schaule - find another spot".

So he moved the battery to the front of dash (rear of the engine compartment) so that he would have some structure to support his bracketry.

The engine air induction has been in the RF corner since that time, for GMT800, GMT900, K2 and now T1 generations of full size truck.

K
Thanks!! I love hearing about how these trucks came together!

Gas trucks have the battery on the left front corner of the engine bay, Dual Battery trucks like mine have 1 in the left front corner & the other in the right back corner like you stated. I have 1 persistent problem with that location, Rain water finds its way into my right side battery & the acid overflows. Was there ever a fix for this? 2006 2500HD LBZ Duramax, 5/06 build date, Flint assembly. Running a AC-Delco battery also.

What was going on with the Air Intake on the '04 1/2-'05 LLY Duramax?
From what I can tell from TSB 06-06-04-036D the air filter assembly was to restrictive & caused some engines to heat while towing in high ambient temps.

Did you design the '06-'10 LBZ/LMM air intakes with the big Donaldson filters? And why go back to a panel filter for the '11 & up LML trucks?
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote