The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #28
jojo
printing is my trade

Re: Jojo's '70 Stepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
My guess is timing , vacuum leak, or carb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
What you're going to want to do, is install an LS motor
Just kidding.....
As Bill said, check for the easy stuff. Vacuum leaks, and timing. You should have hard start problems if the timing is out.
When the plugs fouled, was it oil fouled or gas?
If it's gas your carb may be dumping too much gas in there.
If it's oil, well you know that's not good.
Seriously, the LS style engine I put in my truck was the best investment I made. I did mine on the super cheap using craigslist for the motor and trans. there's a wealth of knowledge on this site to answer any question you may have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
nice progress. are you running ported Vacuum, or Manifold Vacuum? have you checked the idle speed setting?
Sorry guys, I'm not receiving notifications from the forum thats why I'm not responding quickly. I appreciate ya'lls advice.

I wish I could do the ls motor, but I don't have time or money. LOL

It's not oil since the plugs are dry, so I've tried a couple things since. I readjusted the carb and played with the timing. The timing marker is not where it should be on the balancer so my first adjustment was no good. So I've had to put it back where it was originally and advance it some from there. I added new plugs again. Also, I got too far advanced and got some pinging on the test drive so I backed off some. Also I reduced the idle mixture to run more lean. Hopefully theres some balance now.

Oh and I did switch which port I was getting the vacuum for the advance, I believe its manifold now but not sure. Lol With a vacuum gauge hooked up, it's showing that I'm getting more vacuum than from the old port.

With everything the way it is, my plan was to test drive for a week or so and check the plugs. But, the brakes are really acting up and I have all my parts in to do the front discs. So I've begun that process.

I'm attaching a picture with a question:
Theres still some ball joint left in the lower control arm. How do I get that one out? And how do I get the upper one out?
Attached Images