The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2016, 05:44 PM   #1
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Bed subfloor/framing?

So I'm curious if you guys think its even worth it. I've gone through a few beds in my truck and want to finally make the switch to an aluminum bed floor. Plan is to ditch the stock cross braces and make a subfloor/frame deal to support the alum plate/sheet.

Due to the battery and fuel cell, I'll be making the floor modular (again). It doesn't need to haul anything, but needs to hold the weight of a set of wheels, or a dude standing in it. Steel 1/2 sq structural tube was my plan to keep it light and strong enough, then skin it with the alum.

I posted a video on the topic as well.

So I took a couple photos and overlayed a few lines in p-shop. I might end up having to do something way more complicated, but only having to support 300ish pounds shouldn't be too bad.

The red bar is where the thicker tube bridge would be sitting, as I'll be changing to coilover, but thats a different topic for another day. What do you guys think (aside from the ugly drawing). The frame and alum bed should still be functional, but allow me the modular access to my diff, prop valve, ujoints, fuel cell, battery, and fuel pump all from the top. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. Aside from that, I'm hoping to net a weight loss over the heavy crossbeams and my 1" TREX bed.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote