The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
mattfrediani

all new steering from gear box down on 71 4x4

Hey guys so Im in need of some good advice...Here is where Im at.
I replaced the rag joint and steering box, lifted the truck 4" and replaced the drag link and ends. I also installed correct drop pitman arm along with a new heavy duty ty rod and ends.

I mounted the steering box and spun the wheel from full lock and counted the turns, I mounted the pitman arm dead center to the box so I know thats alls good. Is from this point on I need a sequence to dial it in..

When driving I have side to side play. What is the best starting point to get all these new parts in sync, this truck is so nice but steers so ****ty. I have been searching youtube and forms but only get bits and pieces on best way to dial all the steering in.

Do I start with wheels sitting straight and align the front end to 1/16-1/8 max. And THEN remove any play from drag link, (What is the proper way to adjust drag link?) Then make a slight adjustment to steering box mesh screw if needed? (New steering box was from brothers trucks

I figure you guys would know the proper sequence for installing and dialing things in. Please note ball joints are solid

Thanks
Matt

Last edited by mattfrediani; 03-05-2017 at 12:03 PM.
mattfrediani is offline   Reply With Quote