The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2019, 06:10 AM   #1
IllinoisK30

Keith Seymore: Questions On Hood Ornament

I have 1979 GMC Sierra Classic 35 nicely optioned including a hood ornament. I was at squarebody show over the weekend and gentleman there was admiring my truck but told me that the hood ornament was only available on trucks with the exterior decor package. I bought the truck this way last year and just thought it was ordered that way or dealer installed. I have many dealer brochures at home, so I looked through all of them and almost all had a hood ornament and exterior decor package. The only truck I could find in those brochures without decor package but with ornament was on a 1980 Chevy brochure. I figured it definitely could have been ordered with the ornament and not have to purchase the package.
I also have several option books with the ornament listed as well. I would think you could have it put on at the dealer or just order it with the truck?
The other thing is I just sanded my hood down and fixed some pin holes at the front. When sanding there was just yellow, ecoat and then bare metal no other colors. This hood has to be original. The center hole in the hood for the ornament is “D” shaped not round. This is another reason I think it was ordered with the ornament not drilled at the dealer to except one.
I know a lot on these trucks but never dealt with hood ornaments. I have added some pictures to help. I appreciate any help. We are very fortunate on this group to have you as a GM employee with such a great knowledge of these trucks.
Attached Images

IllinoisK30 is offline   Reply With Quote