The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #1
Happy_dan

Brake bleeding drums on C-20

1968 C-20 brake flushing with drum brakes, no power.

I was flushing out the brake fluid (and very glad I did) and all went well for the first 3 wheels. Started on furthest away, passenger rear, then drivers rear and then front passenger. I was able to completely flush the fluid from all of these and boy was it bad!

I was feeling happy and almost done when I got to the front drivers side. I used my pressure bleeder and pumped it up. Opened the bleeder and the ugly fluid started to come out but then stopped right away. Nothing more would come through the line.

I detached it from the hard line and the hardline drained freely.

I do not know a lot about the old drum brakes but these are very clean and in good shape. Obviously there is an issue after the hardline and my first inclination is the rubber hose is collapsed or clogged but I hesitate because I would think I would still get something out of it.

My question is what do you think would cause me to get nothing out at all. Collapsed rubber line? Bleeder clogged? Something with the wheel cylinder?

My plan is to pull the bleeder off and make sure it is clean and not clogged. Then pull the rubber line off (already ordered a new one) and see if it's clogged or will pass any fluid. Last and least desireable is to get a new brake cylinder. I don't want to have to take this apart because it looks so good. No leaks and clean.

That is my plan but would love any thoughts or opinions from the experts.

By the way, I did read other threads and what I did for my Motive pressuire bleeder and manual brakes was to machine out pockets for the two bolts in the firewall so the adapter fits better over the reservoir. Works perfectly. (I can get a picture of that if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance.

This is just to show how good condition the brake setup looks. The other side is the same.

2012 Camaro ZL1
Happy_dan is offline   Reply With Quote