The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
Matt_50

Speedometer

My truck runs but I dont have a speedometer so I havent actually driven it on the street yet.

My original speedometer is in bad shape and even if I could clean it the needle is broken inside. See picture. My goal is to eventually get some electric original looking gauges. Kinda pricey though. In the meantime I need a cheap gauge setup. I have 3 small gauges hooked up for oil, temp, and volts.

Couple questions then. If I find an old but working original speedometer, will it work just fine with my 350/th350?

If yes, do the reproduction gauges match the originals enough that I can purchase a quad gauge later and it'll match?

If an original wont work or wont match at all to a new quad gauge, do you guys have a cheap idea for a speedometer until I get the money for new ones? I dont want the shark gauges. I really want the original repo electric quad gauge but that'll have to wait.

I have other hobbies and make a little money on the side with them, it's how I have paid for most of the truck. Expensive stuff I save up for, the wife might be a little upset if I buy 700 dollar gauges out of the blue on our teacher salaries lol